Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Just a word of warning.

Thread: Just a word of warning.

Just a word of warning.

I just installed LFS strapped on MDK 8.2 and I wanted to check out JFS (the IBM filesystem)..... BIG mistake....

When I went for my first boot it mounted uncleanly and wammo... there went all my effort and hard work.

JFS seems to be unfit for general usage right now, so I'm rebuilding on XFS, to test if that's any safer.

otherwise, I would recommend EXT3, which has served me well for the past many months.

Re: Just a word of warning.

There is nothing wrong with JFS but it IMHO it isn't as well rounded as ext3.

Sorry to hear you have to rebuild :-[.

There is nothing wrong with JFS but it IMHO it isn't as well rounded as ext3.

Sorry to hear you have to rebuild :-[.
    8) EXT3 8)

and thanks Ashcrow, you rock d00d.

Good Guru

And they call those BETAs for a reason ...... I don't even think JFS is in beta.. it's more like Alpha ...

And they call those BETAs for a reason ...... I don't even think JFS is in beta.. it's more like Alpha ...
    Nope it reached production level a long time ago, and it's already in the development series of the kernel so I just figured that a word of warning was a good idea.

I ran a stable snapshot of the code on a 2.4.19-pre3 kernel with all the bugfixes, so I should be safe.

Good Guru

What exactly went wrong? Isnt there any way to boot off a floppy or CDR and repair the mess?

Good Guru

Not if it's Reiser, JFS or XFS unless you made your /boot and /root EXT2 . That's why EXT3 is so much better ... It works natively with EXT2 boot disks ...

Good Guru

Not necessarily true -- make the bootdisk with the modules needed. My bootdisk that my friend uses loads everything known to man. "He just needed to be sure" that everything that a bootdisk needs to load was loaded. He burned it all on a cdrom. Granted that may be difficult getting to work via floppy, but cds are MUCH bigger

Anyhow, doesn't mandrake have the rescue option or whtever? IT just dawned on me -- RedHat has the recue option that has bailed my ass out on more than one occasion.

my /boot is always a 25 meg ext2 partition, just to be safe... but it problem seems to be with JFS and the Linux kernel IO system for ATA... something really fishy is going on...

Good Guru

Well, if its fishy -- go fishin. I will buy some off ya if catch to much. I havent had breakfast today, so I am reallllly hungry