Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

gdm has screwed X

Thread: gdm has screwed X

LiNuts

gdm has screwed X

I updated my gdm, and it has royally screwed the X-server, when i rebooted after the update, after it says "starting gdm" i get this:
    "I cannot start the x-server, it is likely that its not setup correctly, thenit asks if i want it to run the x-server config program ( i answered yes), it then shows some sort of graphic, and then freezes.

I can get to another tty using the alt+ctrl keys and use startx, but only in single user mode.

If i answer no to the above questions, then it says it will disable this x-server for now, and to restart gdm when itsconfigured properly.
    I have run gdmconfig, but i think it wants a local server ( and i dont know what server it wants ) as it complains about there being no server .This is the setup in my x-server part in gdmconfig.
    standard server /usr/bin/X11/xnest-name xnest yes
    static server has nothing in it, its blank,

If i save this configuration it says. "you have not defined any local servers, this is not a good idea unless you dont want any users to log in with a graphical interface."
    All help greatly appreciated, in trying to get my x-server and gdm working properly.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

JimH

Re:gdm has screwed X

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuts
    This is the setup in my x-server part in gdmconfig.
    standard server /usr/bin/X11/xnest-name xnest yes
    static server has nothing in it, its blank,
    Unless Debian does something really strange, that should be /usr/bin/X11/X

Jim H

LiNuts

JimH,
    Unless Debian does something really strange, that should be /usr/bin/X11/X

I removed the Xnest-name server and added the /usr/bin/X11/X one, then rebooted, still the same, so i ran gdmconfig again and went through it, and there was a radio button that said , "always restart the X server" [ instead of reinitialzing running servers when users log out, always kill and then restart the server again].

This radio button was not checked, so i checked it and rebooted, now i can login to gdm as normal.

I dont know where the Xnest-name Xnest came from, i checked in /usr/bin/X11 for it and its not there. It has something to do with servers being nested inside other servers ??.

Thanks for the help
    Cheers
    LiNuts

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuts
    I dont know where the Xnest-name Xnest came from, i checked in /usr/bin/X11 for it and its not there. It has something to do with servers being nested inside other servers ??.
    Essentially xnest is an X server that runs inside of another X server. I have never even installed it. I don't know exactly how it works or what it can do.

xnest manpage
    http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Xnest.1.html

Jim H