Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Player

Associate

Real Player

Can anyone help me to install realplayer? I have download realplayer 8 (the rpm version) and tried installing it with GnoPRM. The application goes through the motions but then nothing happens. I have tried reinstalling it and have even gotten to the point where I configure based on my internet connection, email etc. but in the end I can not use or even find realplayer on my system. I would be grateful if someone could walk me through this one (using very small baby steps). klrmar ???

Re: Real Player

Why would you want to install RealPlayer? RealPlayer uses a proprietary format that is a detriment to the adoption of open standards on the Internet. Not only that, but the program itself is released under a license that restricts basic freedoms that you should be entitled to have with a computer program. If you would like a superior, free program to play videos, I highly recommend mplayer. From what I hear, xine is also a good alternative.

If you need to install it try rpm -ivh name-of.rpm from the command line as root.

hello,
    while i agree with TaeShadow's viewpoint reaplayer is a nice program to have.

so - what happens when you type which realplay, also check out the cheat sheet ? if some comes back then we knwo it is installed, next i would do a rm -rf .Real* and maybe a rm -rf .real* if you know there is nothing in those directorties which you may have created - this will clear out the setting realplayer may have had in an old installlation. if this fail try the tarball from real.com and install that.

Associate

TaeShadwo: In reply to the question why realplayer, its because many of the news sites I like (reuters, BBC, VOA) require this application in order to view/listen to their programs. If another player will do the same thing I would be happy to try it if only I knew how.

To Ashcrow an PBHarris: I will try your suggestions and let you know what happened.

Thanks to all for the quick response. klrmar

TaeShadwo: In reply to the question why realplayer, its because many of the news sites I like (reuters, BBC, VOA) require this application in order to view/listen to their programs. If another player will do the same thing I would be happy to try it if only I knew how.
    I am aware of the pervasiveness of the RealPlayer format. By installing the player and downloading these videos, you are contributing to the spread of the format. Instead, you should be rejecting it. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but I seriously hope you reconsider.

Associate

what is the alternative? klrmar

what is the alternative? *klrmar
    The alternative is to abstain from these news and music sites until they support a non-proprietary format. This could be years of waiting, but you should do it. Honest, you should.

Mentor

While Taeshadows' point is valid, I don't think it's appropriate here. Obviously klrmar is new to Linux and trying to learn it, so he is here to ask questions, in this case about installing a piece of software. We should help him with that, instead of giving him a lecture. Once he learns enough about Linux, open source and open standards, he will realize the problems with using proprietary standards for himself. But giving new people lectures like that might easily turn them away from Linux.

Just my 2 cents.

first of all, i'd like to say i'm one of the biggest fans of open-source software u'll ever meet

now... refusing to use RealPlayer because it is closed source is your choice, however i seriously doubt that any of the sites that use RealPlayer will change their mind about it simply because some open-source idealists refuse to use it. Too many people simply don't care about that argument. They don't give a fuck. They just use it. The majority of the people that go to these sites and look at the videos don't care about it either. They're just happy cuz they can watch video's online. And that is exactly the way webdesigners feel about this. If only an extremely small percentage of the people who would possibly go to their site is morally against using RealPlayer they simply will not offer an open-source alternative to it until someday an open-source alternative is actually good enough to compete.

i do understand why u guys are morally against it though. if it were up to me every single line of code ever written across the world would be open-source but let's face it... it isn't. And refusing to use something because it's not open-source is kinda pointless, unless an open-source alternative that is good enough to compete exists. In the case of RealPlayer, there isn't one AFAIK.

actually, i think we should be glad that there is a RealPlayer version for unix systems available. they could've just as easily said "fuck it... the userbase is too small, we're not going to go to the trouble of porting it" but they didn't. And let us not forget that without RealPlayer almost every site would use Windows Media and isn't that a bit more evil than RealPlayer? RealPlayer never did anything illegal, they just chose to keep their software closed-source but at least we are able to use it.