Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Linux Day - GRIP

Associate

A Good Linux Day - GRIP

Today was a very good Linux day. After a bit of reading and experimenation I figured out how to use the GRIP application to record MP3's off of some of my favorite CDs. That was major for me but then I was actually able to then find the songs I recorded and then play them with XMMS. This may not seem like a big thing to many of you but I have not had very many good Linux days and I just wanted to tell somebody. klrmar ;D

Re: A Good Linux Day - GRIP

Cool

Of course it's a big thing - people are not born with this knowledge y'know. If anyone were to scoff at your achievement (and I don't think they will), more fool them I say.

Fear not the dark Linux bad days, for the day you eventually get it figured is very sweet indeed.

Good Linux Days

8) kio audiocd 8)

KDE rules

Associate

kio audiocd? I'll bite, what is it? klrmar ??? :P

Congrats klrmar It's always pretty damn cool when you make something work !!!

P.S. don't pay attention to LC. He thinks GTK+ is ulgy. ;D ;D
    and much prefers QT2/3....

KIO audiocd is the K IO slave for cdparanoia/cddb/ogg/mp3

you just open audiocd:/ in your konqueror with a music CD in drive and the slave will download the CD info from freecddb and ripping is drag and drop, all settings are in KControl.

It doesn't get any easier than that.. and it works PERFECTLY !

I agree that the audiocd IO slave is very very easy. I recommend using Ogg instead of MP3 as it is patent-free and half the size with the same quality.

Good job and congrads!

Today was a very good Linux day. *After a bit of reading and experimenation I figured out how to use the GRIP application to record MP3's off of some of my favorite CDs. *That was major for me but then I was actually able to then find the songs I recorded and then play them with XMMS. This may not seem like a big thing to many of you but I have not had very many good Linux days and I just wanted to tell somebody. * klrmar ;D

I agree that the audiocd IO slave is very very easy. I recommend using Ogg instead of MP3 as it is patent-free and half the size with the same quality.
    Ogg > Mp3 at anytime !!

Ogg rules...

HOLY SHIT, i just tried it for the first time and it's ultra sweet
    [edit] too bad u can't configure the way the files should be named. i prefer tracknumber-artist-trackname.mp3 and audioslave uses tracknumber-trackname.mp3 over here[/edit]

Ogg > Mp3 at anytime !!
    definitely not. i tested ogg a couple of weeks ago, ripping some tracks from a couple of my albums using the same audio settings (192kpbs.. anything lower than that sux) and the ogg files didn't sound as good as the same tracks encoded with LAME mp3. once ogg can get the same quality as my 192kbps mp3s i'll use it, but until then i won't even consider it