Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Good Linux Day - GRIP

Re: A Good Linux Day - GRIP

definitely not. i tested ogg a couple of weeks ago, ripping some tracks from a couple of my albums using the same audio settings (192kpbs.. anything lower than that sux) and the ogg files didn't sound as good as the same tracks encoded with LAME mp3. once ogg can get the same quality as my 192kbps mp3s i'll use it, but until then i won't even consider it
    What have you been smoking (should I even ask?)? Using the latest version of the ogg encoder, my 128kbps oggs sounded virtually indistinguishable from my 256kbps mp3's.

What have you been smoking (should I even ask?)? Using the latest version of the ogg encoder, my 128kbps oggs sounded virtually indistinguishable from my 256kbps mp3's.
    when i tried it i was using vorbis-tools 1.0rc3, so maybe a newer version does produce better quality, allthough it would surprise me that in such short time such a huge improvement was made to the encoder... cuz that's exactly what is needed: a huge improvement

Advisor

KIO audiocd is the K IO slave for cdparanoia/cddb/ogg/mp3

It doesn't get any easier than that.. and it works PERFECTLY !
    I would just like to add.. Try cdfs (http://freshmeat.net/projects/cdfs/?topic_id=118%2C142) It's a real treat..

when i tried it i was using vorbis-tools 1.0rc3, so maybe a newer version does produce better quality, allthough it would surprise me that in such short time such a huge improvement was made to the encoder... cuz that's exactly what is needed: a huge improvement
    Maybe its just me but I have all my cd's in ogg and I could swear they sound MUCH better. Even if they don't, I enjoy not having to worry about patents and the like.

I would just like to add.. Try cdfs (http://freshmeat.net/projects/cdfs/?topic_id=118%2C142) It's a real treat..
    I know but cdfs still has problems - the last version threw a segfault when a cd was in the drive - and this version probably still needs some work to become as stable as kio audiocd. but other than that, cdfs will be great for lowly none KDE worshippers.

pbharris turned me onto ripperX

cool as shit little program. give that a try too.

SD

pbharris turned me onto ripperX

cool as shit little program. give that a try too.

SD
    RipperX and Grip are the same, only RipperX is a bit slower and doesn't have as many features.