Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How to get started with LaTeX? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get started with LaTeX?

Re: How to get started with LaTeX?

What one use to preview latex docs? xpdf?
    xdvi is the normal viewing tool. LaTeX outputs in dvi (device independant) format. You convert it to ps or pdf.

how do I convert an .tex file to a .dvi file?

I can't freaking compile lahelper. ARRG! I guess I'll call it a night

So you want to start with Latex.... Well why don't you do a google search... I'm sure some interesting sites will turn up NGene :P

how do I convert an .tex file to a .dvi file?
    You issue the command latex file.tex

Then you get several files, one of which is file.dvi (the others are logs and such).

So you want to start with Latex.... Well why don't you do a google search... I'm sure some interesting sites will turn up NGene :P
    You are mean. >

You are mean. *>
    Hey hey... I'm just joking around with the woman I love :'(

I cant get lahelper compiled. It's something to do with bonobo and gnome-print but I install a series of bonobo packages and it says it cant find bonobo.h then some other thing about gnome-print.. I cant figure it out.. But does anyone know where I can get a deb package of lahelper

You might start with Lyx or Klyx (gui typesetting apps, as opposed to word processors). Klyx is the Linux port of Lyx. Both are capable of exporting a Lyx document to LaTeX format (handy if you want to study LaTeX coding).

I'm completely fed up with gui wordprocessors. They're confusing, hard to use, and they don't get anything right. They're good for small documents, but big documents with a lot of formatting are just a pain in the arse. Formatting a text document by clicking through an endless jungle of dialog boxes is anything but user-friendly.

Ok, to the topic (boy, ranting is fun). I want something that can be made using a nice simple text editor, so LaTeX is what first comes into my mind.

1. So where do I start? Google found a lot of introductions to LaTeX so documentation shouldn't be a problem, but is there some tutorial you guys especially recommend?

2. Where can I find some examples of LaTeX documents? The best way to learn is to watch how somebody else does it.

3. What software do I need and what additional software would be useful?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Advisor

You might start with Lyx or Klyx (gui typesetting apps, as opposed to word processors). Klyx is the Linux port of Lyx. Both are capable of exporting a Lyx document to LaTeX format (handy if you want to study LaTeX coding).
    Oh no, dont get me started on my rage against WYSIWYG tools..