Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone like the new versions of the imac?

Re: Does anyone like the new versions of the imac?

Well the monitor is sweet and the general hardware is a nice set up, but it looks like a hat with a monitor. In a styly kinda way.

Hating macs because of a one button mouse? Strange. BTW you are NOT restricted to having a mouse with one button. For all the years I have used a Mac the single button has never be a setback or an annoyance.

GnuVince in time Darwin will be fully supported in the i86 architecture (it is only able to run on a VERY LIMITED hardware setup). But if you like the Aqua GUI.....well buy a Mac then because you definitely will not see that ported to i86. Aqua is proprietary and Apple would not be stupid enough to let that go otherwise their sales of Mac hardware would slide into the sub basement, good architecture and all.
    Well, every single Mac OS up to 9 has been pure hell for me. I've used those things in school and I've always found Win9x infinitely preferable (the old iMacs were sluggish and some of the software literally took minutes to load). It also took me longer to do tasks with those one-button mice than it did with the three button mice available for the MS computers (c'mon, 'bad user interface' isn't reason enough to hate a computer?). All the old Mac OSes looked like pure crap (visually speaking) compared to even Windows 95; the only reason I might ever consider getting a Mac in the future is because OS X/Aqua is so pretty, not because of its' functionality (which I can get with FreeBSD or Debian, and for FREE).

BTW, is Darwin with FINK better than Debian with apt? What reason would anyone have to switch over to it on a x86 arch? Why would I choose an OS that has LESS support for my computer? Is the learning experience so important that I should choose less functionality over more?

It looks very good i think, its not always the same grayish color for computers. The idea of an easy to use os is also good, i never used a mac recently except for some very old one i only remember that the display was as big as a gameboy display today, but i liked it it was much more usable than win 3.1 or dos.

Hrm...you do have to wonder how good Apple's OS X really is if people like Sarah31 would rather be running LFS, Gentoo, Debian, etc., on her PPC instead of it.

I'm using Linux on my PC because I don't like Windows; I wonder if she's using Linux because OS X isn't doing what it should be doing for her.

Well, every single Mac OS up to 9 has been pure hell for me. I've used those things in school and I've always found Win9x infinitely preferable (the old iMacs were sluggish and some of the software literally took minutes to load). It also took me longer to do tasks with those one-button mice than it did with the three button mice available for the MS computers (c'mon, 'bad user interface' isn't reason enough to hate a computer?). All the old Mac OSes looked like pure crap (visually speaking) compared to even Windows 95; the only reason I might ever consider getting a Mac in the future is because OS X/Aqua is so pretty, not because of its' functionality (which I can get with FreeBSD or Debian, and for FREE).

BTW, is Darwin with FINK better than Debian with apt? What reason would anyone have to switch over to it on a x86 arch? Why would I choose an OS that has LESS support for my computer? Is the learning experience so important that I should choose less functionality over more?
    Woo I didn't mean to offend you Hammond. With laying out your experience though it makes more sense. The look is a preference thing I think some of them look good and some don't. I don't have much trouble with my iMac and it is one of the Bondi blue ones. I was expecting for you to mention the pre G3 when you said old! OS wise...well I started out liking OS 9 but grew to dislike it as I found it to be relatively unstable. I liken it to Win98 which I never liked at all.

In then end it really makes no difference. For reasons that you dislike the mac I have had the same reasons I disliked the PC with Windows (well except for XP it has run well on my box). Despite these gripes I got used to using one and now I like both.

And no Darwin with FINK is definitely not Debian or even LibraNet which I am typing to you from. I never suggested that you try Darwin at all. For me I don't run it to write novels or anything like that. I run it to learn the base of OS X. I would never suggest giving up anything to run Darwin.

As for attcking Darwin's lack of x86 capabilities. Well it has only been publically available for maybe 8 months or so and not even that long for the x86 architecture. It is definitely not ready to storm the market by any means. It is where Linux was when it started up in 1991 (?) that's ten years older than Darwin. No doubt it needs to grow.

As for your last post. To experiment, I like tinkering. I don't run linux on my Mac right now just OS X and Darwin. On my PC I run LibraNet and XP. Again I really don't need to qualify why I do this but if you want to know again I like linux and I like XP. So there. Many people here have dual booting PCs and they will give you a multitude of reasons why and you would probably accept them. So I really don't see how wanting to experiement on my Mac is a knock against it.

You dislike the Mac and that is fine i don't and that is fine to because I sure am not hurting you aor anyone else by owning and running one.

personally, i think it looks ridiculous
    but then again, i've never liked the way mac's looked.

i do like the way Aqua looks though, but i'll never buy a Mac just to have the Aqua gui. i can make KDE look almost as good if i want to without having to pay a lot of money for a GUI and an ugly box

Hating macs because of a one button mouse? Strange. BTW you are NOT restricted to having a mouse with one button. For all the years I have used a Mac the single button has never be a setback or an annoyance.
    But wasn't that why Sun couldn't include a right click in Java?

But wasn't that why Sun couldn't include a right click in Java?
    Wouldn't know about that. Quite possible though.

X is nice but i have lfs on my ibook. X takes a while to boot, lfs is a few seconds. i dont have a gui in lfs though, i can use X or 9 for gui. i'd rant more but its time to sleep

but one quick thing, about darwin on x86? your not forced to use it, dont use it if you wanna stick to debian. some hackers that like it are porting it for the adventure and their own use. dont bitch about it being stupid :-P

okie sleep time. sorry if i'm a little cranky in this post.

Associate

I have an iBook and love it! *I'm holding out till they release a 17" LCD on it though, 15" at 1024X768 doen't cut it for me. Other than that it's a great machine.