Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Darwin

Thread: Darwin

Darwin

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this, and whether or not anyone has actually gotten it to work. I know that it's freakin PICKY about hardware right now, but that will change in time. I wanted to run it on my system, but not a single thing I had was supported.

Re: Darwin

It's really hard to tell whats going on with Darwin. It seems after the big news of it's conception and release, it just disapeared. If I remember correctly Darwins license is not GPL or FSF friendly which would keep a portion of open source developers off it, though I hope Apple fixes it.

Is there anything all that great about Darwin? From what I've heard, it is simply not worth worrying about its restrictive license, because Linux is just better.

i've used it (on my mac)

eeeh i don't like the bsd tools, gnu's just better:
    rm foo -rf
    bsd: foo is a directory
    bsd: no file/directory "-rf"
    gnu:

theres other things too like killall and pidof, darwin for intel i don't see the point of.

I don't see what the point of Darwin for x86 is either. Hell, if you want BSD, just get any of the other ones, I'm sure they're better anyway.

I don't mind it but I haven't been able to get the internet functioning on it yet. Darn PPPoE is plaguing me lately. (If anyone knows of a good PPPoE program let me know.)

Advisor

rm foo -rf
    bsd: foo is a directory
    bsd: no file/directory "-rf"
    gnu:
    It's the same on HP-UX 10.2 systems.. Or Sun-8 (i think it was last I checked) They've probably just used some old portion of the code.. (ahhh the joy of getopt().. )

Well I have used X86 my whole life until I opened my eyes and found the G4. The more I learned about it the more I wanted one. I sold my old PC and got a Cube. I run Yellow Dog and OS X. I wouldnt give up X for anything. I love it. Darwin is strong and stable and you can port almost anything you need( if its not already on OS X). All I know is if you are a die hard Linux or *NIX person you really need to try a G4 and get over the Megahertz myth. Linux on 128 bit processing is like a guy running to the bathroom after eating 400 stool softners. ;D A little off topic but had to vent.