Thread: Solaris cert

Hybrid View

Solaris cert

I'm interested in getting my Solaris certification and was wondering about the job market. If one knows Solaris 8, are they qaulified to work on boxes running 2.6? Or are there entirely different creatures? Does anyone have any advice on getting certified in Solaris or getting one's foot in the door as a Unix admin?

Re: Solaris cert

Funny you should ask, as tha'ts exactly what I'm doing.

From what I've seen, 2.8 isn't TOO much different than 2.6/7 but there is enough differences that it wouldn't hurt to study the 2.6 material as well.

As for foot in the door, I just went to the Unix department of where I work, and asked to tag along on all thier work, observing how things work, getting hands on exp. I eventually asked management to move me over, and they did! Now I have to look for a NEW Unix job, with only 2 months exp... probably not going to happen, so I'm back to square one....

link=board=unix&num=1008115288&start=0#1 date=12/13/01 at 10:54:50]
    Funny you should ask, as tha'ts exactly what I'm doing.

From what I've seen, 2.8 isn't TOO much different than 2.6/7 *but there is enough differences that it wouldn't hurt to study the 2.6 material as well.

As for foot in the door, I just went to the Unix department of where I work, and asked to tag along on all thier work, observing how things work, getting hands on exp. *I eventually asked management to move me over, and they did! *Now I have to look for a NEW Unix job, with only 2 months exp... *probably not going to happen, so I'm back to square one....
    Well at least you're getting some Unix experience. I've just about had it with the Windows world. It's getting rather boring and repetitive. Everything is waaaay to simple to install and waaaay too frustrating to support (installing application X makes application Y crash. The latest service pack, which fixed the problem between X and Y, now blue the whole comp and causes unforseen problems when application Z calls up the printer drivers--you know how it goes). For me, the only way to get Unix experience is to look for a new job completely. I wished we had a Unix dept. That would be sweet.

I hear ya.. I hear ya...

Well, you could start going to your local Unix Users Group, and start from there, take a Help-Desk (I know step down usually) position with a company that deals with unix, so that you can get some support exp. for unix related issues, and work your wan in through there.

I might even do that, take a high leve helpdesk position, and roll out from there...

Best of luck!

link=board=unix&num=1008115288&start=0#3 date=12/13/01 at 11:36:19]
    I hear ya.. I hear ya...

Well, you could start going to your local Unix Users Group, and start from there, take a Help-Desk (I know step down usually) position with a company that deals with unix, so that you can get some support exp. for unix related issues, and work your wan in through there.

I might even do that, take a high leve helpdesk position, and roll out from there...

Best of luck!
    What I'm hoping to do is get a job at a shop that runs NT/Win2k along with some Solaris boxes. I'd like to get my feet that way, and then hopefully, a few jobs down the line, cut out NT all together. I'm seeing a lot of availible positions in my area for NT admins that need also require a working knowledge of Solaris

Help Desk = ulcers IMHO. Also, it seems that Exchange is quite the hot ticket these days, though I really have no interest in learning or adminning Exchange. I've been adminning a NT/Linux/Citrix Metaframe LAN for a few years now, and have been involved in a lot of project management, so I'd really hate to go back to help desk. But hey, if the price is right, I guess I'd really do anything (well not anything. There are some obvious limits). *

I hear ya. I would hate to be an MCSE, with Unix/Linux admin exp working at a stinking helpdesk.

The ONLY way that I will take the job is if there is ample opportunity to either migrate up to Unix support, or to a management role. Who knows, I interview today....

link=board=unix&num=1008115288&start=0#5 date=12/13/01 at 12:50:33]
    I hear ya. *I would hate to be an MCSE, with Unix/Linux admin exp working at a stinking helpdesk.
    Well, as of 01/02 I will not longer be a MCSE, according to M$, unless of course they have once again changed their decertification stance. About this, I could not care less.
    The ONLY way that I will take the job is if there is ample opportunity to either migrate up to Unix support, or to a management role. *Who knows, I interview today....
    Let us all know how it went...

Um, they did change it. NT 4.0's are certified for life now. There is now 2 different MCSE's. MCSE 4.0 and MCSE 2000. Perhaps soon to be MCSE XP.

your 4.0 cert (as well as mine) should be good for as long as you live, or people run MS products....