Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who have FreeBSD

Re: For those who have FreeBSD

"The system initialization scripts can execute scripts from multiple rc.d directories. The default locations are /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, but these may be overridden with the local-startup rc.conf variable."

That is a quote from the rc manpage in FreeBSD. It shows that by default, scripts go in two different directories, and even more can be added.
    i wasn't talking about how it's done in FreeBSD, i never used FreeBSD so i wouldn't know. i thought we were talking about the BSD style bootscripts that Slackware and some other linux systems use because u mentioned Slack and BSD style scripts earlier and then i replied to it, and then u replied to my slackware-related reply

if i was talking about how it's done in FreeBSD then i would've mentioned that

Well FreeBSD does use BSD init, at least I assume. So if Slackware uses BSD init, it ought to work the same way.

Well FreeBSD does use BSD init, at least I assume. So if Slackware uses BSD init, it ought to work the same way.
    not at all
    allmost every distro uses Sysv init but that doesn't mean they all do it exactly the same. Slackware uses BSD-style bootscripts. That doesn't mean it's exactly the same. it's based on it. big difference.

u just said earlier that FreeBSD doesn't use runlevels, but Slack does.
    my LFS system also uses BSD-style bootscripts but they don't work the same way as Slack's. but they are based on BSD-style scripts though