Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FreeBSD--Are the benefits real?

Re: FreeBSD--Are the benefits real?

I might start running FreeBSD 4.4 on one of my boxes sometime next week. I'm deciding whether to use Red Hat 7.2 or FreeBSD 4.4 as my intranet web server. I've heard good things about FreeBSD and since Mandrake (current OS) and Red Hat are kinda the same, I'm leaning more toward FreeBSD. I hope it gets the job done for me and I end up liking it.

I might start running FreeBSD 4.4 on one of my boxes sometime next week. I'm deciding whether to use Red Hat 7.2 or FreeBSD 4.4 as my intranet web server
    Give FreeBSD a try, if only so you can make a valid comparison. They say that Linux kernel 2.4.10 and higher gives FreeBSD 4.3 a run for the money as a server OS but I don't know if that's still true for FreeBSD 4.4 and higher. I'm running FreeBSD 4.5 Prelease and it's still the OS of choice for my gateway box.

And, it's a very decent OS just for desktop duty.

Of course they do because the BSD guys are intelligent and Linus is the stupidest dude in the universe
    I've read that he's arrogant and egotistical but, since he gave birth to Linux, I guess I can't call him stupid...

I've read that he's arrogant and egotistical but, since he gave birth to Linux, I guess I can't call him stupid...
    Confusion. Reason of confusion: "stupid" has more than one meaning. I did not mean that he had no technical knowledge, but that his techniques are stupid. I mean, he doesn't even use CVS, it's on his hard disk.