Thread: Freebsd install..

Freebsd install..

Thx to Mor_gath i got my cds now i can try to get freebsd running,
    is there anything thats important i should now before installing and can i boot it with lilo ?

Advisor

Re: Freebsd install..

is there anything thats important i should now before installing and can i boot it with lilo ?
    *BSD uses slices, that might confuse you, but dont worry its just like partitions... And yes it can be booted with lilo.

I'm not sure about booting FreeBSD with LILO. FreeBSD comes with its own boot manager, which is not the same as LILO but does the same thing.

And, yes, at first you might find the slices nomenclature confusing. It might be worth the extra ten minutes to read FreeBSD's handbook on that topic. While you're at it, maybe spend 30 minutes reading the entire installation section of the handbook.

The default shell is not bash, but rather tcsh.

If you're at all familiar with Debian, you will, for the most part, feel right at home with the ports system (found in /usr/ports) even though it uses a different philosophy than apt.

Also, don't expect X to run as well as on Linux. *They have not been nearly as aggressive in this area as the Linux community has (as it is not their main focus.)

Depending on the Linux distro you use now, you may find it more stable (the only ones that are probably just as stable are Slackware, Debian, LFS, and Gentoo.)

If you already use Slackware and you've played around with the start up scripts, then you already know how FreeBSD's start up scripts work.

The default shell is not bash, but rather tcsh.

If you're at all familiar with Debian, you will, for the most part, feel right at home with the ports system (found in /usr/ports) even though it uses a different philosophy than apt.
    It's no big deal to change the default shell to bash, which I prefer. Also, you should use the pkg_add system instead of ports because it's way faster.

Also, don't expect X to run as well as on Linux. They have not been nearly as aggressive in this area as the Linux community has (as it is not their main focus.)
    I don't know why you say that. I haven't had X crash once in the time I've been using FreeBSD. It crashed many times using Debian. Maybe it's missing capabilities, but what capabilities would be built into X anyway?

thx .. for the info .. today is install time ..

Good luck!