Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solaris

Re: Solaris

I also want to try Solaris quite badly. I hear almost nothing but good things about it when it's running on Sparc. Maybe I'll give a look around for a cheap sparc.

Honestly though, aside from server software, it doesn't do much... and it's kinda slow for an interface. Text editing, telnetting, compiling, thats about it (;

what are those big servers at sun.com used for?

You name it. DNS, FTP, NFS, sendmail, firewalls, proxies, internet caches, database servers, tape backup servers, jumpstart servers, code compilers, machine operators, account servers, etc etc etc...

They can do a crapload on the infrastructure side, but not much on the end user side....

Good Guru

Yeh, but the nice thing is that if you have one running at home, you are using it. Without paying out the ass for classes, that is the best way to learn. I am saving up my last few dollars to get a cheap refurb on sun.com. For one purpose -- to learn the damn Sun architecture well.

*We run a mainly hpux shop where I work and we just bought a sunfire running solaris 8 on a lark. *We will be using it as a sendmail server. *I've got to say I am not impressed so far. *The solaris OS seems pretty barebones, also the fact that it ships without a compiler kinda got under my skin ( I know you install gcc at anytime, but what a ball buster that was ).

*It lacks the intiutive sw installer manager that both hpux and red hat have. *Dependancy issues seem to crop up fairly often as well. *On the upside they have a very well documented web site and their get-pkg installer is alot like debian apt-get ( it doesn't do well with dependencies like I said though...)

*Just my 2 cents...

usually the major pull of solaris/sun is the hardware. Awesome hardware, and usually you void warrenties if you go with another OS. In the corperate world, warrenties and support contracts save your ass! no corp manager is going to buy off on a product that doesn't have a retail front to go after when shit don't work....

We use solaris at our place, AT&T Fixed Wireless, and it just runs like a raped ape... hardly ever has problems, can run for months untouched... all that fun stuff....

anyway, that's MY $0.02...

Kind Mastermind

link=board=unix&num=1002583152&start=0#16 date=01/05/02 at 14:27:57]
    and it just runs like a raped ape...
    Wow, nice. Weird way of putting it, but nice none the less. We use Sun workstations here at work, just for weather related items. They are fast, super fast, but the CDE sucks, big time. Not very intuitive, but then, it isn't a consumer interface. We are slowly replacing them, though. How come M$ gets convicted of monopolistic practices, yet the US gov't still puts their crap everywhere? Dumb.

Good Guru

If I remember correctly, isnt Sun replacing CDE with GNOME? Thats why there was a big story about Soloris 9 not being as ready as they wanted -- GNOME wasnt ready.

Solaris 8 that is.

Its not that they are replacing it persay, but offering it as yet another choice for a DE. Possibly the default, who knows.

You can still get gnome for solaris 8, but it's a separate download. runs pretty good, for gnome.....