Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is BeOS dead?

Is BeOS dead?

Looks like BeOS has gone bye-bye when Be went under. That sucks. BeOS was a great little OS and I rather liked it.

Oh well. Is there any place where I can still get Be?

Re: Is BeOS dead?

bebits still has the images. Yellowtab (or something like that) is makeing a new version of BeOS for release (looks really cool) and I read something about BeOS 6 a month ago from a part of Palm.

If it's not dead, it'll be a LOOOOONG time before any further significant development. Too bad cause I always wanted to try it out. It wouldn't work with my hardware though, and rather than buying new hardware to try an OS, I'll wait for the OS to come to me.

/me ships box of TNT to Palm HQ

NOW IT IS !

BeOS could have been really great, but it seems development stalled - to bad, now it must die !

I tried it once, but it didn't support my hardware, so it wasn't very functional. BeOS doesn't look too promising. I'm keeping an eye on AtheOS though. It has made it very far considering one single guy is programming most of it.

I tried it once, but I was too young and stupid to really appreciate it (this was before I found linux, when I was a total MS drone).

i once installed it from a cd that came with a pc-magazine. it was some version that u could install on ur current windows partition. so i installed it and looked around but didn't really thought it was that special. it did reminded me a bit of linux at the time (i didn't have much linux experience back then )

i once heard or read somewhere that BeOS was one of the best operating systems when it comes to multimedia... is that true?

i once heard or read somewhere that BeOS was one of the best operating systems when it comes to multimedia... is that true?
    Well, I think it was really good with multimedia. I hear that since it was coded from the ground up and had no slow-ass legacy code slowing it down like other OS's, it was lightening fast. You could be watching several movies at once, and still have an instantaneously responsive system (context menus opening without delay and such).

I didn't really notice that when I was using it, because I wasn't trying to stress test it. I guess when critiquing an OS, it's easy to notice the bad, but not the good

too bad they couldn't take more advantage out of that then...

too bad they couldn't take more advantage out of that then...
    I'm sure an LFS system where everything but gcc, glibc, and the kernel is compiled with those huge CFLAGS ("-O6...&quot would be just as responsive