Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

The test

Thread: The test

The test

I thought of a use for my old Pentium 2. I'm going to put it and FreeBSD up to the stress test. Remember that old programming challenge where we made factoring programs? Well my program can factor 100 quadrillion in about 2 minutes on that computer. So I decided to set a cron job to run that every 10 minutes. I want to keep the cpu usage kind of low so it doesn't burn up. It has a passive heatsink after all. I may raise it a little later but not much. Basically I want to see how long it can run with some stress on it. And I don't want something that uses the hard drive a lot. Any suggestions or comments to make this test better?

Re: The test

If it has network access, fire up a browser (text, it don't matter) and go to www.metaspy.com click on your choice, filtered or unrated, and let 'er fly. It will auto refresh ever 5 seconds or so, giving you the last 10 search strings entered into metacrawler.com. Great for a modem/network test!

I'm not interested in a bandwidth test. I have a 28k connection. It would be like me entering a contest to see who could lift up a car over their head and throw it the farthest. But anyway, this is really just to get a bit of a workload on the cpu to see how long it can last. I had about a 70 day uptime on the computer before I had to shut it down, but it wasn't very special because it had been just sitting there with 0 cpu load. This time, it'll be different.

I thought of a use for my old Pentium 2. I'm going to put it and FreeBSD up to the stress test. Remember that old programming challenge where we made factoring programs? Well my program can factor 100 quadrillion in about 2 minutes on that computer. So I decided to set a cron job to run that every 10 minutes. I want to keep the cpu usage kind of low so it doesn't burn up. It has a passive heatsink after all. I may raise it a little later but not much. Basically I want to see how long it can run with some stress on it. And I don't want something that uses the hard drive a lot. Any suggestions or comments to make this test better?
    Would you be willing to run Quake or something in a loop on it?

I don't have Quake. I've kind of given up on the idea anyway because I think I'm going to have to reinstall another OS on it so I can use my digital camera.