Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

OpenBSD question (attn Ashcrow)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenBSD question (attn Ashcrow)

OpenBSD question (attn Ashcrow)

I'm trying to install OpenBSD on a 486 with an IDE hard drive (500 megs). Here's my problem:

When I try to install on partition 0 or 3 at an offset of 63, after the installation, my computer won't boot. It will display:
    Using Partition:0 Drive:3
    Drive is '0' when I install on primary partition 0.

On the other hand, when I install with an offset of 0, there is no problem afterwards, the machines boots fine. But if I do fdisk wd0, it won't show any partition.

Could you please help me? If you could also give me the steps of fdisk and disklabel, I would really appreciate, last time I did it, I was minor (that was in the 2.8 days)

Re: OpenBSD question (attn Ashcrow)

Is it 2.9 or 3.0 you are trying to install? Is there just one 500mb drive on the box? IDE?

This is what I do for my installs ....

Choose to use the whole disk.

Delete all partitions (d *).
    Add a partition as root. (a a)
    Add b partiion as swap. (a b)
    (Add anything else as d on).

at any time you need to see what you have done use p m (prints partitions in MB).

and it whould work fine. OpenBSD's installer assumes that partition 'a' (wd0a I belive) is root and 'b' is swap (and c is the full disk).

It's OpenBSD 3.0 and there is only one IDE disk.

Also, the problem happens when I choose to use the entire hard disk. And in disk label, is there a difference between d * and z?

And the error message is actually:
    Using Drive: 0 Partition: 3
    No the other way around. Sorry.

I tried what you said, but it doesn't work, I still get the same error :'(

You really don't know what could be causing this?

OK, I reinstalled with a offset of 0. And here's the output of 'disklabel wd0':

# disklabel wd0
    # /dev/rwd0c:
    type: ESDI
    disk: ESDI/IDE disk
    label: QUANTUM FIREBALL
    flags:
    bytes/sector: 512
    sectors/track: 63
    tracks/cylinder: 16
    sectors/cylinder: 1008
    cylinders: 1056
    total sectors: 1064448
    rpm: 3600
    interleave: 1
    trackskew: 0
    cylinderskew: 0
    headswitch: 0 # microseconds
    track-to-track seek: 0 # microseconds
    drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
    # size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
    a: 982800 0 4.2BSD 1024 8192 16 # (Cyl. 0 - 974)
    b: 81648 982800 swap # (Cyl. 975 - 1055)
    c: 1064448 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1055)

Anyone knows what 'ESDI' is? Is it before IDE? If so, could it be the reason why I'm having problems?

This is very odd ... I am not sure what to yell you. I don't think that ESDI has anything to do with it but I could be wrong. http://www.infran.ru/TechInfo/BSD/handbook120.html has information on ESDI. You may want to ask the question on the mailing list or use send_bug. ???

Wow. Well at least it looks like a easy fix.