Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Generic Unix Q

Good Guru

Re: Generic Unix Q

Why is he crazy? *Partitioning is as different and unique as finger prints usually.
    I"m not talking about partition scheme..... I'm talking about having your web data on two separate partition area ( thus / and /home ) rather than hold that on one single location.....

If I've got that many data on it, I will make sure that I've got that all on some other partition than on / for sure.

Good Guru

I'd like to tell everyone (hereby refered as kenshi) that with df, the -h flag gives you the size in a way easy to understand
    And the " df -m "

And the " df -m "
    df -m will give EVERYTHIGN in meg sizes. df -h gives it in human form. it it's closer to meg sizes, it will give meg sizes. if it's closer to gig sizes, it will give in gigs, and so on and so forth.

Good Guru

Well, I have been doing some homework on LDAP, NIS, NIS+ and kerberos. Well, I really like the ideas in NIS but LDAP seems pretty damn sweet too. My next question is who has tried both NIS (I amnot getting into NIS+ -- hell no) and LDAP? And which would be good for a -- well - max lan size of 15 or so nodes? Thats abou the biggest I can see my lan getting to and being useful still. I like how NIS can do Wintel as wll as the unixes really easily. I am just not getting all of the perks of LDAP yet. Currently it seems that my little POS is gonna get an inherited upgrade (to a 500MB and a 3GB) since I bought my new HD. So space no longer is an issue. Although I think that sticking with FreeBSD is a good choice still. That shouldnt affect anything should it?

Well, I administer a 500+ node NIS network here at ATT, and it's pretty sweet.... It would be a good choice for you, especially because Red Hat 7.x's support NIS out of the box...

Good Guru

If you have a small LAN, why bothe with LDAP ( except for learning sake ). LDAP is for enterprise wide solution similar to Novell's NDS.

Good Guru

Well, I administer a 500+ node NIS network here at ATT, and it's pretty sweet.... * It would be a good choice for you, especially because Red Hat 7.x's support NIS out of the box...
    Cool beans! Ill stick with that. I guess NIS+NFS+Samba will works well then :) I jsut want to figure some new stuff out along with getting my requirement met. This ought to be fun. I hope I can get this all sorted out this weekend by the time Wrestlemania starts ! Haha :)