Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generic Unix Q

Good Guru

Generic Unix Q

I have an old POS that has a 500 MB Hard disc. *I wanna know what size footprints a basic install with vim and ssh have. *I am considering :

Slack 8.0
    RH7.2 (whats on there now), just more streamlined this time
    Debian
    whatever flavor of BSD is reccommended.
    Solaris OE x86

Its gonna be a statserver and run genome@home and sit and look pretty. * I do not want anything fance like smaba or ftp, telnet, X11, or anything. *Just vim and ssh/sftp. *I may decide to make it into a proxy also, but not immediately.

So -- what is my best bet? *I am not very familiar with BSD, but will figure it out if it has a smaller footprint in comparison to Linux.

Re: Generic Unix Q

BSD. Any of them.

Kind Mastermind

BSD. *Any of them.
    Agreed, or Slackware. The basic install of Slack is tiny (well under 500mb) and it has absolutely nothing running. A basic custom server install of Redhat should work also (you have more experience with RH, so it should be the easiest for you to install/configure. Sometimes it is best to go with what you know.).

Solaris x86 is horrid, and won't run genome@home.

Good Guru

Well, I started on slack and redhat so those were quick ones to come to mind. BSD keeps getting thrown in my face as a good OS, so I figured to consider that at the very least. Solaris -- yes it wont run GAH -- is stable though, right? Thats all I really need. The gamestat server will be run on apache and updated each lanparty. Just something to keep track of our scores :)

I am leaning towards BSD at this point since I really should learn it. Although Slack is a perfect choice almost....

Now the question -- which BSD?? I read that FreeBSD is the better (more mature at this point). Am I being mislead?

NetBSD: the smallest one, it doesn't include Perl by default, and you must do everything by hand. Great stability, very correct performances. The man pages are pretty good. Very nice and clean install.

OpenBSD: second smallest, it has perl by default. It also has Apache and BIND. Good stability, the worst (not that it's not good though) in performances due to heavy cryptography which takes some additionnal CPU cycles. Slimest installer, I just *love* it.

FreeBSD: the biggest install because of the handbook (great reference) and additionnal apps. This is in my experience the most performant and stable BSD. It also enjoys the most ported applications and the biggest user community (and therefore the most documentation). It has the best TCP/IP stack of any OS for the x86 (and it's probably the best of all OS and archs). The installed is blue (as in the color) and is the most bloated one.

I might also add that they all ship with OpenSSH and ftpd. The default shell is csh for Net and Open and tcsh for Free.

If I were you, I would choose FreeBSD in part because of the documentation (the handbook totally kicks ass)

Good Guru

Geee.. none of you mentioned Debian for god sake??? :

Base install of Debian... 120 MB.

apt-get install ssh
    apt-get install vim

The most will be what?? 250 MBs and that will leave you to have 128 MB for swap....

Compunuts: I think there's a reason why it's in "Other OS'es" and not in "Linux distributions".

Good Guru

Thanks all! I think Ill give FreeBSD a shot. I have an OLD ass copy of NetBSD lying around somewhere and had that up and running a while back. It was stable and reliable.

Oh -- Compunuts -- Debian was part of my list. I was essentially thinking from what experienced users (including myself) have had to say for specific server applications. The big three Linux's (RedHat, Debian, and Slackware) are the most robust and stable Linux's to choose from. Not that SuSE is bad or anything... I also have heard nothing but joy from BSD. So that was put on my list.

Ill give BSD a shot and if for any reason it goes awry, I have RH and Slack to fall back on till I get my shit together :)

Geee.. none of you mentioned Debian for god sake??? :

There is a REASON none of us mentioned Debian... ;D

<poke>