Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
VAXen and Windows
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAXen and Windows

VAXen and Windows

Can VAXen run Windows?

My mom got a job at a hospital, and she says she uses a "computer that people call a vox, but it's spelled v-a-x", and it's running windows. I think she's actually using some Unix-clone with a windows-like WM and simply can't tell the difference, but she insists that it's windows.

Re: VAXen and Windows

I would guess a Vax running some Unix and that she connects to it (maybe through an GUI shell) from Windows.

I doubt it's anything that elaborate. You don't know my mom, either. If there was something like icewm or something set up, she wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

We're talking about somebody who just called me to ask how to open an attachment in Mozilla. I told her to save it to a file, then open it. She asked me how to open a file.

Good Guru

Yes. *IIRC VAXes are DEC. *There is a flavor of NT4 for alpha. *So it would make sense if she was using NT terminal server or something.

???

Only NetBSD can fit on those things.

Good Guru

hahahaha friggen sweet dude! *hahahaha ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good Guru

Yes. *IIRC VAXes are DEC. *There is a flavor of NT4 for alpha. *So it would make sense if she was using NT terminal server or something.
    Yeah, I think you are right about that. DEC made VAX systems with Alpha chips and they were the mid-range systems comparable to IBM S390 or S400 platforms. And Microsoft also had NT 4.0 for Alpha until service pack 3 ( IIRC ) so it would make sense that what she might be talking about is true.

She might be sitting infront of terminal ( usually DEC VT200 ) connecting to NT 4.0 based VAX server ( DEC VAX 6220 are very popular back then )....

8)Alpha processors 8)
    :DEC :

Good Guru

At the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, we had a buttload of DEC terminals and a couple of pretty bad-ass DEC mainframes that were usesd. These were what got me into UNIX. When I asked around about how I can get UNIX, linux was the response. So, although I knew about Linux, this was the beginning of the grave dug for my M$ os'es. Hell -- I dont even run one except at work anymore :)

BTW -- anyone who can get their hands on a DEC -- do so. They are sweet lil' number crunchers. I would give my right nut to get a unix based DEC system ......

Good Guru

And those DEC are dead as well ..... Alpha processors had been always superior to Intel's but they are also much more expensive ....
    8)RISC processors 8)

I wouldn't advise running NT on the vax .... I have had experiences with them before and they havn't been pretty. Microsoft stopped supporting the DEC line because they had a very hard time porting to the processors (one of the reasons MS keeps saying they won't make a 64bit version of Windows). You'd be better off running GNU/Linux, Open/NetBSD, or another OS that has been ported with sucess. Not that NT 4 for Alphas are horrid, they just arn't up to Windows 95 par.