Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Making OpenBSD boot from HDD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making OpenBSD boot from HDD

Good Guru

Making OpenBSD boot from HDD

I've followed the installation instruction from http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html and everything went fine. But when I reboot, it would not boot from HDD but rather booting from Floppy and going round robin again for installation. I partitioned my HDD for OpenBSD and it's the only OS on this box. My question is

1. How do I make it bootable from HDD?

2. How to add more software to it?

3. Is there any guide you guys might know on how to do NATing and router stuff with firewall??

TIA ....

Re: Making OpenBSD boot from HDD

1. HDD like Hard Drive Device or /dev/hdd ?
    2. Either with the ports (get ports.tar.gz from the ftp site and untar in in /usr) or with binary packages which you can also download on the ftp server
    3. There's a nice section in the FAQ, section networking. You can also check these:
    http://www.inebriated.demon.nl/pf-howto/
    http://docs.bsdaemon.be/

Good Guru

1. HDD like Hard Drive Device or /dev/hdd ?
    HDD like Hard Disk Drive. I'm not being able to boot from the hard drive. Floppy is only installation disk. OpenBSD did not even gave me the option to make itself bootable from HDD nor create emergency boot disk.

2. Either with the ports (get ports.tar.gz from the ftp site and untar in in /usr) or with binary packages which you can also download on the ftp server.
    Gotcha but I need to be able to boot to the system first....

3. There's a nice section in the FAQ, section networking. *You can also check these:
    http://www.inebriated.demon.nl/pf-howto/
    http://docs.bsdaemon.be/
    Good as well. Thanks.

So my question still stands. How do I make it bootabel from hard drive when I power up the system??

What happens if you don't put the floppy in? Do you see something like:
    Using Drive: 0 Partition: 3
    Or something like that? if so, take a MS-DOS/Windows floppy, and issue the following command: fdisk /mbr

You may also want to check this out: http://darkhost.mine.nu:81/openbsd-en.html

Good Guru

It's just no system disk error ....... :-/

I've already tried the fdisk /mbr thing. I've checked the cable and all that stuff as well .... But thanks anyway ......

Maybe ashcrow would know...

By the way, did you use the entire hard disk? And if you didn't, did you make sure you set the boot flag to your partition?

Good Guru

You may also want to check this out: http://darkhost.mine.nu:81/openbsd-en.html
    Yeah, thanks but it's almost pretty much the same with the Installation manual I got from OpenBSD site which I mentioned in the first post but your is less explaination and right to the point. I've followed it exactly and still have problem. This box used to have Red Hat Linux 6.2 and it booted fine and I just blowed it in favor of OpenBSD.

Oh BTW, at disk label editor, you used "z" command at the very first time instead of "p" command. What does that "z" command do?? I can't find that command in manual or installation guide.

Good Guru

Maybe ashcrow would know...
    hmmm.. May be .. At the mean time, I will retry installation for the fifth time...

By the way, did you use the entire hard disk?
    Yes. This is the only OS on this box.

'z' deletes every partitions. Is your hard disk configured correctly in hardware (jumpers for example)