Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding strings in FreeBSD startup??

Adding strings in FreeBSD startup??

I checked the handbook to see how to add stuff to the startup, and it said to add lines to the 'rc.d' file. I opened it up, but it doesn't seem to be a file that could be edited. What am I doing wrong? I need to add a 'kldload' line, and 'kdm' to the startup.

Re: Adding strings in FreeBSD startup??

You can add kldload lines to /etc/rc.conf, just kldload modulename (without the .ko). As far as kdm goes, I just log in as root and type kdm.

I'm not sure if you could do:

Code:
    kdm_enable="YES"
    You should check it out.

I will try that. Thanx you two!

You should also have a look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf to see what options are available to you. *Anything you place in /etc/rc.conf overrides /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and the latter should not be edited.

You can launch programs at startup from /etc/rc.local or use startstop scripts in /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d (if u install stuff from ports, this is where the startstop scripts go).

Browse http://bsdvault.net for lots of links, manpages, tutorials and more...

Well, I got the 'kldload' string in. Now I jsut need to find out where to put the 'kdm'. :P

vi /etc/rc.local

# /etc/rc.local
    /path/to/kdm

:wq

init 6

SolarfluX: Just a little question, did you become a FreeBSD guy? IIRC, you were pretty much an OpenBSD/NetBSD a while back.

Vince-

I like all three BSDs, but I'm a little bored/frustrated with NetBSD and OpenBSD (I wiped them in favor of FreeBSD). I use FreeBSD at work and decided I might as well concentrate on FreeBSD exclusively for awhile...

8)

Vince-

I like all three BSDs, but I'm a little bored/frustrated with NetBSD and OpenBSD (I wiped them in favor of FreeBSD). *I use FreeBSD at work and decided I might as well concentrate on FreeBSD exclusively for awhile...

8)
    OK. I pretty much gave up NetBSD. I use both OpenBSD and FreeBSD with a little preference for FreeBSD. But I'm migrating my firewall/gateway/webserver this summer, and I will use OpenBSD, because:

- Apache comes pre-installed, so since my machine is a P75, I won't have to wait for it to compile
    - It's secure and stable, so I can set it and pretty much forget it.
    - pf seems like a good packet filter
    - I won't need to recompile my kernel

But OpenBSD is a bit late in terms of features compared to FreeBSD. FreeBSD 5.0 will have a all new SMP system, OpenBSD doesn't even have one yet. FreeBSD will have DevFS, I don't know if OpenBSD does, etc.