Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurd

Hurd

Since the news from RMS I've started to take an interest in the hurd. Anyone have much experience with it? I installed it once but pretty much removed it right away.

Good Guru

Re: Hurd

I recall reading a bit on the Debian Hurd. It didnt seem ready for prime time like linux is. But definitely interesting. I remember that there is another distro of Hurd out there -- a plain old GNU/Hurd ore something ?? Is that true?

I recall reading a bit on the Debian Hurd. It didnt seem ready for prime time like linux is. But definitely interesting. I remember that there is another distro of Hurd out there -- a plain old GNU/Hurd ore something ?? Is that true?
    Not that I know of. AFAIK Debian GNU/Hurd is plain old GNU/Hurd. I downloaded one of the Debian Hurd ISO's and am going ot install it on a legacy hardware box and I'll say how it goes.

Good Guru

I hear that the kernel is wayyy better than linux's. We shall see .....

I hear that the kernel is wayyy better than linux's. We shall see .....
    Too bad it'll never be finished... :P

Hurd? That's the kernel for Emacs, right?

I hear that the kernel is wayyy better than linux's. *We shall see .....
    I had the chance to watch the Hurd in action, and I must say, it looks to have some kewl features, like the fact that you run ftp deamons as non. pri. users, so it's much more secure.

The kernel itself is slim and seems very fast, but remember it's still in heavy development so it probably be better (it's not nearly as fast as Linux or FreeBSD yet).

The biggest flaw is the current lack of support for pthreads, so we can't get many programs running, such as KDE or Gnome. But I hear people are working very hard on this. Remember around 50% of the Debian packages are already ported.

When I saw Hurd, it still lacked sound support, but I think they will adopt ALSA shortly.

Anyways, Hurd is looking good, and seeing as it has 3-5 developers using only their spare time developing the kernel, Linux and BSD has that and MANY more, plus a rather large head start... so I think Hurd is doing OK.

Remember Stallman called Hurd his one big mistake, because debugging this kernel design is living hell.

Good Guru

How long ago did you check it out?

How long ago did you check it out?
    Half a year ago or so, but already then it was functional enough to run X and lesser WM's without crashing.

I hear the lastest G cd's are fairly stable and functional enough to use in everyday for the NON server users.

So go try it out it's not much hard to install than Debian (DOH, it uses the debian installer, since it's debian developers who currently develop it..)

Good Guru

Does it have linux binary support yet?