Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

FreeBSD floppy trouble.

Thread: FreeBSD floppy trouble.

FreeBSD floppy trouble.

Yes, I FINALLY posted to the forum!

To me this is kinda odd. FreeBSD recognizes my CD & CD-RW, but cannot see my floppy. I can still mount it, but I have to mount with the '-t msdos" option. This is also with a Linux formatted disk. Works fine in the other OS on the hard drive, so I know it works. :P

Good Guru

Re: FreeBSD floppy trouble.

I thought all file systems need to be mounted unless you auto mount them .... :

Okay. Let me rephrase this. The floppy will not mount a *NIX format disk. In Disk Free, it is not even seen. There are no floppy devices recognized anywhere. I cannot even format a floppy. Probably a missing package, but then again. :P

Good Guru

One of my Red Hat linux box have the same problem but I guess it's to do with Floppy support inthe kernel or some /dev/ area file missing ...... While investigating this, it came across that there is no /dev/fd0 is found anywhere on the system. Instead there is /dev/fd0u1440 and /dev/fd0u2880 and so on ... I use /dev/fd0u1440 and no problem. May be yours having the same thing ... Softlink /dev/fd0 to /dev/fd0uXXXX will solve it?

Well see, here's the deal. I was thinking that also, so I checked my devices. I tried fd0, fd0a, fd1a, etc, etc. Everytime, it would bring up "error: incorrect super block" or something like that. :P Unless I put the '-t msdos' I can't mount crap. I guess I'll recompile, and double check that, but I think I'll check what you mentioned again. :P

Linux and FreeBSD don't use the same kind of file system. Linux uses ext2 (by default) while FreeBSD uses UFS. If you want to mount a disk that's formatted as ext2, you need to put a "-t ext2fs". You may need to recompile your kernel. I don't know if ext2 is in the default kernel. I think it is though. And formatting a floppy disk is not very intuitive in FreeBSD. There is no format command or mkfs. If you want to make a UFS floppy, do "newfs /dev/rfd0". And if you want to make a FAT floppy, try "mkdosfs -f 1440 /dev/rfd0". Naturally if your disk isn't 1.44 meg, you need to change the 1440 to whatever. And the handbook doesn't say anything about formatting an ext2 disk, so I don't know.

Hmmm. Guess it's time to recompile the kernel. :P Thanx Kenshi.