Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I will fall in tears
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I will fall in tears

I will fall in tears

I can't decide. I am wanting to migrate my gateway/firewall. I want either OpenBSD or FreeBSD. But I can't decide :'(

Pros for OpenBSD:
    - Secure by default
    - Apache installed by default and in a jail chroot with mod_ssl
    - pf
    - I like the install better
    - It's Canadian

Pros for FreeBSD:
    - Best TCP/IP stack in the world
    - Very good VM
    - Easier to upgrade than OpenBSD
    - Decent firewall (ipfw)
    - Very secure too
    - Greater stability and performance
    - More ports

I will be running a webserver on that box (like I am right now). So, do I choose OpenBSD and its already installed webserver or FreeBSD and install Apache or Boa (which I am most used to) and enjoy the greater stability and performance?

ARGH!!!!! I hate those internal debates that I always have. If it's not 'OpenBSD vs. FreeBSD', it's 'Emacs vs. Vim', '<programming language x> vs. <programming language y>', etc.

I'd like to get input. And keep it as unbiasied as possible (attn Ashcrow)

Re: I will fall in tears

What's different about the OpenBSD installer? I liked the FreeBSD installer.

Anyway, I would probably go with FreeBSD myself since it generally has better performance and is still rather secure, and, as you say, upgrades are very easy, kinda like Debian, only with the source. /usr/ports is good. 8)

I would say go with OpenBSD (big supprise! :-P). It's much better as a firewall compared to FreeBSD, it has an excelent ports system, audited base, and isn't all that hard to update/upgrade (providing that you have at least a cable modem) ... you use CVS and track current with it.

emacs vs vim???? wth ? this is like being given a choice between having ones toenails removed with pliers and no pain killers (emacs) vs having all the sexy women of the world wanting to have you do with them as you will and making you supper (vim!)

i know darn little about OpenBSD, FreeBSD I used in school and it was able to handle thousands of students logged in at the same time on a single aplha processor. most of those students were doing internet related stuff or

/me is thinking about FreeBSD + Boa.

Ashcorw: the thing is I know FreeBSD much better than OpenBSD at the moment, and I have Kint who can help me with it if I need help. Anyway, it's not for now, so I'll see. Actually, it will probably be this summer (I don't have enough time right now), so I could wait until OpenBSD 3.1 is out and then decide. If they worked on the TCP/IP stack, I could shoose to go that way.

And sans-hubris, the OpenBSD installer fits on one floppy, it's very linear, you type what you want (not point and press enter). Also, I installed it over an ADSL connection today: it took 14 minutes from boot to "Congratulations! OpenBSD is installed.". Never could do that with any other OS.

pbharris: that's another thing, I want something that handles high loads well too. So this is why, right now, FreeBSD is in top of my list. Anyway. As I said, it will be AFTER 3.1 is released, so I can probably have another internal Emacs or Vim before I need to worry about this again (unless ext2 gives up, in which case it would be FreeBSD since I have done 4-5 gateway/firewalls with FreeBSD)

emacs vs vim???? wth ? this is like being given a choice between having ones toenails removed with pliers and no pain killers (emacs) vs having all the sexy women of the world wanting to have you do with them as you will and making you supper (vim!)
    Gee, that's a tough one. I never liked toenails... :-\

Vince, what is it that you mean by "greater stability" in freebsd? Does that mean that openbsd is crashy and bad or something?

Vince, what is it that you mean by "greater stability" in freebsd? Does that mean that openbsd is crashy and bad or something?
    OpenBSD is not as mature, so there are some unstabilities due to wierd/bad/half-defect hardware. Also, the TCP/IP stack is less robust than FreeBSD's; under very heavy load, FreeBSD responds better than OpenBSD, and is less prone to crashing. http://cr.yp.to/ -> Check the network outages.

I'd g with OpenBSD + ipfilter (*NOT* pf - it hasn't matured yet). On OpenBSD you've got wonderful ipsec vpn, extremely easy to set up. If you decide to use Free go with ipfilter as well.

Do not cry Vince...

Install FreeBSD, it seems more fun