Thread: ClosedBSD

Good Guru

ClosedBSD

Anyone here use it? I am trying it out and having one hell of a time getting up and working. First it was DNS, now it is getting ACK's from the outside. Grrr frustrating :{

Re: ClosedBSD

ClosedBSD is not something I would recommend. Very few hardware support, not too stable, etc.

Good Guru

Hmm, so a full blown BSD install would be better, eh?

I got iso's of FreeBSD in my *nix cd binder. I do recall that was reccomended a few times around here last time I asked. I just want a simple, easily backed up and restored NAT gateway.

Any better reccomendations?

Yup: http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=42

It also explains how to make firewall rules but you dont want/need any, it will just be easier (but less secure).

I'm here if you got any questions.

Good Guru

It also explains how to make firewall rules but you dont want/need any, it will just be easier (but less secure).
    I actually will. Its the firewall that is easy by my book :) Doing a 2 DSL to a LAN gateway is something new to me and getting the logic down is my only real hurdle. I just want to find something that will be easy for my NT admin boss to figure out. Not to mention, if it is something uber-stable and reliable -- I am all for it!!! I can grab the OpenBSD ISO's and burn them. Not a biggie. Unless you think FreeBSD is good enough? (A mere savings of what $2.00 hehe)

You can't download OpenBSD's ISO. If you have limited bandwidth, order the CD. Else, just do a FTP install, it's much more convienant (considering that for a gateway you need to download 30 megs...)

Good Guru

Really... Hmmm thats cool! I do plan on ordering some flavor of BSD box set soon. I plan on dropping like $300 on *nix in the next few months. About $60 for RH7.3/8.0, $60 for SuSe 8.3 (or whatever -- its been awhile since I used SuSe) and the $50 or whatever for the BSD box kit that I have seen around. Then its book madness. I found a guy who is selling to me for $25 bucks a book some Apache, DNS, Clustering and whatnot books -- so whatever I can muster up is essentially his. Used books, but in great shape. In a few months I will be a hermit living in my Unix cave :)

whatnot
    Jesus! Can't I escape this horrible word?!

Good Guru

NO you cant :)