Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FreeBSD vs. Linux

FreeBSD vs. Linux

i have used FreeBSD before and i must admit, it was very good. However, I seem to like the use of apt-get in Debian and the overall feel of slackware (even though it is close to BSD). Is there any reason that I should use BSD instead of Slack/Debian? (as far as security by default, etc...)

Re:FreeBSD vs. Linux

There's no doubt about it. FreeBSD is more secure and stable than Linux. This is by default, but it's also easier to make it even more secure. It's not better in every way though. Linux has a little more hardware support and more user-friendliness. But if you've been using unix for a while and aren't too heavy into gaming, FreeBSD makes a sweet desktop. I thought I was a Debian user for life, but once I got used to FreeBSD, that changed. I've been using it almost a year now. If you treat FreeBSD well, it will treat you well.

Why not try Gentoo Linux it has a ports clone, called portage. You might like it.

Does anyone have any benchmarks between Freebsd * Linux?

jcrowe

[quote author=jcrowe link=board=10;threadid=1833;start=0#36783 date=1023308233]
    Does anyone have any benchmarks between Freebsd * Linux?

jcrowe
    [/quote]

I believe that Linux currently has a slight upperhand, but I expect that FreeBSD will have us pinned down with the upcoming 5.0 release.

Overall I like FreeBSDs structure, but their installer is horrible and it hates me very much.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=10;threadid=1833;start=0#36785 date=1023308510]
    their installer is horrible and it hates me very much.
    [/quote]

What!!? I think that the installer is great. What's not to like about it?

[quote author=jcrowe link=board=10;threadid=1833;start=0#36786 date=1023309652]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=10;threadid=1833;start=0#36785 date=1023308510]
    their installer is horrible and it hates me very much.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Oh I like the installer it's a bit like Debians, but the installer hates me - I have yet to install a working FreeBSD setup correctly - I always end up compiling something by hand to make it work.. or writing the entire XF86Config by hand..

Good Guru

[quote author=jcrowe link=board=10;threadid=1833;start=0#36786 date=1023309652]
    [/quote]

I love it, reminds me of the good ole days and Slack 3.1

If you really want to go the BSD route go with OpenBSD. It is more secure than FreeBSD and Linux and is a bit more stable than FreeBSD (code audits). Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing FreeBSD but if it is security and stability you want take OpenBSD.

With that aside there is no reason you should use a BSD over Linux or a Linux over BSD because of name. It comes down to what you want to do and how you want to go about it. Want lots of pretty guis? Try SuSE or Mandrake. Want some CLI lovin? Use OpenBSD, NetBSD, Slackware, or Debian. Want something in the middle? Use FreeBSD, Red Hat, or Libranet.

If you like apt-get use Linux. There is apt-get for both deb and rpms. If you like ports you can chose between Linux or a BSD. Like the freel of slackware and must have ports? Then try hackign around with Gentoos ports on Slack.

[quote author=Evil Honkey Kenshi link=board=10;threadid=1833;start=0#36653 date=1023277927]If you treat FreeBSD well, it will treat you well.[/quote]

I used to say that about windows... until I tried linux.