Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

"Hello world" in assembler
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hello world" in assembler

Hybrid View

"Hello world" in assembler

Since this was requested, I'll make a little "hello world" program in assembler. Note that it's designed for Nasm. Different compilers have subtle differences in syntax.

Code:
    SEGMENT .data
    message db "Hello world."   # our message
    db 0Ah
    db 0Dh   # return carriage and line feed

SEGMENT .text
    mov eax,04h   # eax = 4 for system call to write to file
    mov ebx,01h   # file descriptor, in this case 1 for stdout
    mov ecx,message   # address of message
    mov edx,0Eh   # number of bytes long
    int 080h   # call linux
    mov eax,0h   # system call to exit
    int 080h

Re: "Hello world" in assembler

is that x86?

Yes, of course. I only know the x86 and z80 processors and it's definitely not z80 code.

Mentor

Yes, of course. I only know the x86 and z80 processors and it's definitely not z80 code.
    Z80, aye? Now that brings back distant memories ... ;D

Re:

Here's the same in MIPS assembly:
    Code:
     * .text
     * .globl __start
    __start:

* la * $a0, hello
     * li * $v0, 4
     * syscall

* li * $v0, 10
     * syscall

* .data
    hello: * .asciiz "Hello World!\n"

how could i have missed that on your resume

pretty cool man.

So you guys have any questions or want any other examples? This one only uses two commands and is kind of dull.

Where is there a good tutorial on writing assembly for x86 platforms?

sure - how about moving "Hello World" out through the UART.

So you guys have any questions or want any other examples? This one only uses two commands and is kind of dull.
    I don't know, maybe I am just a dumb goof, but that looks incredibly hard for such a simple proggy. I need to learn assembly, but it is such a different way of thinking than I am used to...from the looks of it it is obviously going to take a lot of time...

Aragorn