Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Should we have a small programming challenge? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a small programming challenge?

Re: Should we have a small programming challenge?

I just thought: Since some people will do it with compiled languages and others with interpreted, should we seperate the comparaisons in 2? Shortest code will probably be interpreted, but fastest will be compiled.
    May I submit a hardware solution (in an HDL) ?

Leave it to you to make things complicated.

i was thinking that - but then i thought - that would be a real b*tch

K... I'll just whip something up in ABEL then... VHDL's rule.

or not..

I'm going to make a Sega Master System program. You'll have to download an emulator to run it.

I'm working on mine. Nasm and Gdb don't like each other though and I'm having trouble debugging it. [sighs]

I'm working on mine. Nasm and Gdb don't like each other though and I'm having trouble debugging it. [sighs]
    That's what's fun with Ruby: I wrote my hierarchical (sp?) scheme, tested it on paper. It worked. Translated that to Ruby and it worked second time (first time, I had put a [ instead of a {)

I figured it out. I wasn't preserving some of my registers when I called printf from assembler. There was also a slight error when returning but I forgot what it was. Though it works now, it uses 8-bit division while factoring so if you use a number above 255, you get a floating point exception. I'm working on that though. It will be at least 16-bit, hopefully 32. The latter may be too difficult though. I really need my Intel architecture guide.

Yeah baby, yeah! It will factor 32-bit numbers now. It factored 1,000,000 beautifully. I'm not quite through with it yet. I want to make it pair factors and only go up to the square root of a number. It would probably cost a few clock ticks on very low numbers (which would appear to scroll instantaneous to humans anyway) but will improve time greatly for huge numbers. By the way, right now it takes about 10 seconds on my 850 Mhz processor to factor up to 100,000,000. It takes less than a minute to get to 1,000,000,000. What about yours?

Ok, I think I have the ultimate factoring program now (as far as speed goes at least) if I could just get it to find sqrt(). I don't get it. I put in #include <math.h>. Can someone easily explain the problem? There are more details in pbharris's thread "WTH???".