Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Small script to scan my home network - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small script to scan my home network

Re: Small script to scan my home network

That's a load of bullcrap. French obviously copied many words and phrases from English, like "cul de sac", "bon voyage", etc.

And french people are screwy, too! They don't even eat french fries! They eat Apples of the fried earth! (Pomme de terre frites)

;D

The frites modifies pommes, so it's fried apples of the earth. (Not to mention that pomme de terre means potato but that's just details...) And I never said the French people were groovy, just the lingo.

The frites modifies pommes, so it's fried apples of the earth. (Not to mention that pomme de terre means potato but that's just details...)
    Well, that was a joke, I'm sorry if you didn't get it.

Actually, the frites modifies the preceding word*. In this case, the preceding word is "pomme de terre" (potatoes) and not just "terre" (earth). Fried apples of the earth would be "pomme frites de terre", so the joke is that we ignore the fact that "pomme de terre" means potatoes, and take it at a literal value (apples of the earth), at which point, "pomme de terre frites" becomes apples of the fried earth.

* For example, "pomme de lune frites" would be Apples of the fried moon, IIRC.

This is the way I remember French, but I haven't actually spoken it or anything since my last class, 4 years ago, so I could be wrong.

Well, that was a joke, I'm sorry if you didn't get it.
    I knew calling them apples of the earth was a joke. I kind of joked back by making the point that it means potatos seem unimportant. I wasn't thinking though that if the words were seperated, frites would describe terre.

Just a note. Nobody actually says "Pomme de terre" (well rarely) in Québec.
    We say "patates." It's an adaptation.

Patates frites. Canon à patates.

Des patates! Pommes de terre c'est pour les Français.

Ben je suis en partie francais. Je suis pas de tout quebecois.

/me throws a patate on kenshi ;D

That's what I'm talking about. [eats the potato]

heh.. comment a program in moncton french or in newfie

moncton french:
    //ben, ca c'est the variable qui makes the thing aller

newfie:
    //the thing that makes the rig go