Thread: Am I crazy?

Am I crazy?

Well first off I am taking Visual Basic and Java this semester as part of my major and minor. This to me is just about crazy enough and should provide a good deal of work in itself. However....over the holidays I took a look at C++ and got kinda interested. So what I was thinking this past night was to just kinda learn C++ on my own. This is to say I would have a program assigned in Java and write it in Java and C++ just to learn. Am I crazy to try this? I know VB wont be hard and I have some experience in Java so that wont be too difficult. So....am I just insane to try to pretty much learn three languages in one semester?

Advisor

Re: Am I crazy?

Why even try VB? *shudder*

Since Java and C++ is very simmilar, there should be no real problems learning them at the same time, you might end up with a few exercises, where the tutor might claim theres a bit more C++ than Java in it, but thats just about it.
    And while you're at it, why not take a crack at C aswell ? Learn whats behind C++, eventho that might screw the exercises up pretty bad...
    When I was introduced to C++ we had a three week course, after that it was expected we knew how to program in it. Since I started with C, I wasn't taken by supprice, but as long as theres Java aswell, it's not going to be that difficult..

Kind Mastermind

Well first off I am taking Visual Basic and Java this semester as part of my major and minor. *This to me is just about crazy enough and should provide a good deal of work in itself. *However....over the holidays I took a look at C++ and got kinda interested. *So what I was thinking this past night was to just kinda learn C++ on my own. *This is to say I would have a program assigned in Java and write it in Java and C++ just to learn. *Am I crazy to try this? *I know VB wont be hard and I have some experience in Java so that wont be too difficult. *So....am I just insane to try to pretty much learn three languages in one semester? *
    One of the Java tutorials I read expected you to have a grounding in C. So, learning that later might help out. I don't think you're crazy for learning three languages at once. Just make sure that you know when to stop learning C++ (if it starts to interfere with VB/Java studies, for example). Have fun.

Why even try VB? **shudder*
    Well....like I said above, it is for school and I dont really have a choice in the matter. :-/

Kind Mastermind

Well....like I said above, it is for school and I dont really have a choice in the matter. * :-/
    Just think of it as something else to put on your resume when you need to find a job.

Yeah. I took Visual Basic last semester. It wasn't my lifelong dream. I only had one more class I had to take. I wanted to throw something else along with it instead of going for just one class. Well my first joy is unix, but there was only one unix class offered which I had already taken (and even did a little teaching). So programming was next and the only programming class I hadn't taken was VB. That's how it goes sometimes.

But yeah, learning extra languages can do nothing but benefit you. Learning is fun when it's something you enjoy. But like others say, don't get so caught up in it that it interferes with your schooling. I did that all the time. While I was taking Visual Basic, I was programming a lot in C, like that Dos shell I made and the programming challenge here. It made me forget a lot of stuff from VB but I still managed an A in the class because I was a genius. But anyway, good luck in your self-teaching as well as college and if you enjoy it, maybe you'll be a programmer some day.