Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Someone here says kill C
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone here says kill C

Someone here says kill C

http://www.mtl2600.org/forum/index.h...=1&mid=338

Very nice post. Has some good points.

Re: Someone here says kill C

Il est bete. C est magnifique pour les personnes qui savent qu'ils faisent. Utilisez le bon outil pour le bon travail. (Or something like that.)

C is a great, strong, classic language. It is a bit dated when trying to do certian programming, but it is one of the best tools to use when doing Computer Engineering because of it's structural programing techniques.

:

Buffer overflows would never happen if people used the appropriate functions in C. I mean I know it's oh so difficult to put (usually) an extra letter in the function name (strcpy/strncpy) and specify the length of the array, but I'd say it's worth the extra 3 or more keystrokes.

Kenshi: Stop changing nicknames! The only way I can recognize you is from your picture.

C rules. If there was no C, there would be no Ruby, GnuVince.

Hey Greg, j'faisais yenque poster un lien mo, erlax!

Kenshi (or Tekii): more than 50% of the people don't know how to preoperly use C's functions. *Also, strn commands are a bit weird; for safer and simpler behavior, use strlcpy and strlcat.

Edit: Plus, you saw what we did in the Hacking challenge: buffer overflow exploit, tmp racing conditions exploit, etc. For a end-user application (payroll program, IRC clients, IM clients, etc.), I would probably use something that's safer without having to worry about it.

Kenshi: Stop changing nicknames! The only way I can recognize you is from your picture.
    Just wait until I start changing pictures too.

Kenshi (or Tekii): more than 50% of the people don't know how to preoperly use C's functions. Also, strn commands are a bit weird; for safer and simpler behavior, use strlcpy and strlcat.

Edit: Plus, you saw what we did in the Hacking challenge: buffer overflow exploit, tmp racing conditions exploit, etc. For a end-user application (payroll program, IRC clients, IM clients, etc.), I would probably use something that's safer without having to worry about it.
    Yeah, but that was all due to poor programming. I still think that any programmer good enough to have his stuff used by others should be good enough to use C more wisely.

GnuVince: le lien marchait pas avant...faque j'savais pas...mais la y marche.

Man I'm beat. I want to sleep.

stl* is much better because they null terminate the string. I don't know why they don't import it into glibc! ???