Thread: Alright! I caved!

Alright! I caved!

I finally tried FVWM, and I must say I like it. First of all, it's faster than KDE so that's a huge plus for me (the whole LFS thing was for speed, right?).

I can see how it would be a powerful wm, and I have a feeling that I'm really going to like it. Only problem is, the default theme really sucks hard and the fvwm-themes package doesn't give me much that I like (there are a few themes that I like, but they all have their flaws).

So, it seems clear to me that the only way I'm going to get a theme that I actually like is to build one myself. Of course, FVWM as big and mighty as it is, has next to no GUI configuration tools (at least, none that leave me with a decent theme). Do any of you FVWM users know a good resource for learning how to configure FVWM? I know it's the ~/.fvwm/fvwm2rc file, but it's so configurable that I have absolutely no idea what most of that stuff does. Help!

Thanks

Re: Alright! I caved!

I flirt with fvwm2 a lot. It's awsome!

I've run into the same problem. For the past few weeks I've been searching for a good source of information to explain the numerous config settings but I haven't found anything. I've picked apart a bunch of different themes and it's been mostly trial and error.

I'm pretty happy with the theme I've put together I just wish I understood how it all works.

hey - awsome Fezta! I am guessing you installed fvwm themes. what i did when i was feeling lazy (most the time) was to run the fvwm95-config script (i think that is it) and let it do the initial setup, then i went into the file you mentioned and changed a few things as needed mostly startup program, there are quite a few files you can play with but the main one is the ~./fvwm/.fvwm2rc.

i get 90 % of my info from www.fvwm.org. the other information i have gotten if from demian who has forgotten more about fvwm than I will ever know.

Well, I think that http://www.fvwm.org./generated/manpages/ is supposed to explain all the directives in the .fvwm2rc file, though it's kind of hard to learn from because it's more of a reference for those who already know than a tutorial for those who don't.

Hey, maybe I'll just have to suck it up and actually read the man pages, make my theme, then write a tutorial for others

D'oh! I just realized that I'm compiling Mozilla, and I made the mistake of compiling it in an xterm instead of on the actual console. Now I can't restart X until it's done... so no testing FVWM themes for me... I guess I'll just have to do my English homework until Mozilla is done...

The theme is coming along fairly well, considering that I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

I already have FvwmPager set up exactly the way I want it, and the window decorations/colors are getting pretty close. Unfortunately, there are no buttons on the titlebars at all, so it's a bit tricky to kill programs...

Oh yeah, and my random desktop script is working good. Shouldn't take much longer before I have something that is actually useable for everyday use.