Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I want to learn C
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to learn C

I want to learn C

I want to learn C

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/...764893-1488019
    I just got this book to learn it. *What do you think about the book will it do a good job at help me learn the stuff? *Or what do you recommend...?

I got NO exprience programming... *All I know is a TINY TINY bit of basic...

Re: I want to learn C

I think that C is a very bad first language

I also think you should learn it's basics with online resources before you go buy books. That way if you decide you don't want to learn the language after all, you haven't wasted your money on a book.

I think that C is a very bad first language

I also think you should learn it's basics with online resources before you go buy books. That way if you decide you don't want to learn the language after all, you haven't wasted your money on a book.
    Oh, I disagree! I think C is a fine first language .... it was my first language not counting the BASIC I knew from middle school.

That book should be fine, but in the future I recomend buying more refrence oriented books to look up things more indepth and learn mainly from online tutorials. Many colleges have notes and exercises on C posted online.

If you are looking for books to learn from and not do anything else but that (bookworm type person) then O'Rielly books are the way to go.

Ashcrow how did you learn it?

What languages do you guys know?

I learned by reading through a few tutorials online. Then I went out and bought a refrence book (C by Disection ... don't get it 8)) and started practicing by doing little things here and there ... and learning more from reading college lectures and other stuff.

I know perl, C, Java, a little GTK, and old BASIC :P. Someday I'll jump on the ruby bandwagon with GnuVince.

Do you have any software projects?

You want C and good first language? Try Pike. C-like syntax, easy strings, much safer than C, very fast for an interpreted language, automatic memory allocation (garbage collection), OO features too, etc. Give it a shot.

You should learn Scheme, hehe. I'm not being so evil when I say that though. Scheme looks intimidating at first, but once you get into it, you realize that recursion is quite natural (Scheme uses recursion extensively.)

Unlike many other languages, Scheme, being that it is a functional language, forces you to think more about the problem itself rather than the syntax of the language.

sans-hubris: I like O'Caml myself. Is scheme as strongly typed as O'Caml?

sans-hubris: I like O'Caml myself. *Is scheme as strongly typed as O'Caml?
    O'Caml and Scheme aren't really comparable. *Almost all variables are immutable (i.e. unchangeable) and it's rare that you ever use ever use the mutable variables. *Actually, the term variable is the wrong term for what's used in Scheme. *I guess the easy way to put it is to say that there really aren't types in Scheme.

Scheme is based on LISP. *They are what are called "functional programming languages." *Recursion is used extensively, iterative programming is rarely used, and they're are among the few languages that allow for "first-class" functions (i.e. you can have functions that create and return functions and those functions can be completely anonymous.) *In general, Scheme and LISP come from a wholly different programming philosophy. *However, they do give you good ground to use when you learn other programming languages. *They help you to understand why certain things are the way they are in other programming languages.

You just have to try it to know what I mean.

I've posted some sample code at CCAE.