Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brute force?

Re: Brute force?

Now to C/C++.

C and C++ are nice languages because they give one much control over a computer, they are the high level languages of the low level languages or vice versa. *Part of that control is the ability to control memory yourself. *This is a Bad Thing in my opinion (at least for user applications), because in a project that is reasonably large, there will be a mistake somewhere with pointers that will cause a segfault or a memory leak that's very hard to find. *These problems are not acceptable in most applications. *I can hear you say "That doesn't happen if you know what you're doing", well I got news for you: most C programmers get them, no matter how good they are. *Why is it that we find/found segfaults in Licq? *Because the programmers screwed up somewhere in the code, things were not too clear in their minds, so the program has a nice bug there. *And if it happens to experts, of course it happens to non-experts, which is why I would never recommend C as a first language. *We also often hear of buffer overflows that cause security breach: the fault is in part on the programmer and in part on the language, because the API's are not safe enough. *In applications that require perfect functioning, C and C++ are rarely choosed because of their insecure nature. *For example, at the Departement of Defense in the US, the most commonly used language is ADA, because it is very safe (garbage collector, dynamic memory allocation, statically and strongly typed variables, etc.) *C and C++ also tend to be pretty long because they're basic; they are light, but they are basic. *Inputting a string the right way in C is considered an advanced operation, because you must allocate the memory for it, etc., while in most modern and high-level languages, you simply declare your variable as a string and that's it. *I might also add that by default, C doesn't have an arbitrary length integer library, you must use one provided by a third-party developper. *Currently, the one most people use is GMP which seems pretty hard to use in comparaison with Python or Ruby where you just write and integers are automatically converted to long integers and back to integers when needed. *This is another thing one doesn't have to worry about and that's a good thing. *A thing that most people don't like about C/C++ also, is that you must explicitely declare your variables. *In Dynamically typed languages (Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua, etc.) one doesn't need to, because the variable isn't typed, it's the value that is typed. *In strongly typed languages, normally you need to declare your variables, but O'Caml is a nice language, because it automatically detects what type a variable is, what is the type of the return value of a function, etc. *This is a plus for O'Caml.

O'Caml is pretty cool because it has very modern features (type inference, static typing, big_int support, regular expression support, string support, a garbage collector, etc.) but the code produced by the native code compiler is often as fast as C code and the memory is sometimes better managed than in C. *This document shows some numbers of programming languages that were considered for a scientific project, and how O'Caml got to the top. *This other document shows in part why Ada (O'Caml is considered to be just as safe as Ada, so this can apply) was chosen instead of C++ at the DoD. *Take a close look at the numbers about the 99.99% reliability, and you can be sure that it's near impossible to reach that with C or C++.

And I like Python, because I can do things really fast with it. *It's weak typing system may not be the best thing in the world, but for a scripting language, it's perfect.

Any questions, where you don't play with my words?

One last thing before I go to bed, modern languages have exceptions which makes error catching and handling easier.

Use a psuedo-backtracking algorithm to exhaust all relevant possibilities. I don't use python so I can't code one off the top of my head (nor would I otherwise in the sleepy state I am in :-P).

There isn't anything wrong with perl. It's on of the more dogged on languages but it's extreamly powerfull. Structures and/or OO coding design, network retrevial of modules (CPAN), modern file/socket design, most advanced string manipulation, very portable, etc...

While some of perls ideas are a bit diffrent from other languages it does add to the readability of the language (unless it is obfuscated). Scalars ($) have the preceding $ sign to denote that they are of primitive type. Obvously, any modern language can interpolate (maybe wrong word ...) the type (@array[1] eq $array[1], primitive example). As for variables like $_ (special variable, generally last input or flat pass to sub) or @ARGV[] (arguments given on command line) it's things that you learn about the languge. While perl isnt a language that you can learn in a day, it is a language the you can create almost anything in less than one.

Code:
    @P=split//,".URRUU\c8R";@d=split//,"\nrekcah xinU / lreP rehtona tsuJ";sub p{

@p{"r$p","u$p"}=(P,P);pipe"r$p","u$p";++
    $p;($q*=2)+=$f=!fork;map{$P=$P[$f^ord($p{$_})&6];$p{$_}=/ ^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&

close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep rand(2)if/\S/;print
    Do you always write it encrypted? ;D