Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which language to learn first?

which language to learn first?

Ok, I wanna learn to code, which one should I do first? C or C++? I wanna learn to setup interfaces with network devices, etc. I have heard that C is better for that. What is the concensus of the people that actually work with it?

Re: which language to learn first?

Well that depends, most kernel space interfacing is done in C - but if you simply want to code userspace stuff I would say go C++, since it's OO, which is quite nice.

C++ is a superset of C, so if you learn C first, it should make it easier to learn C++ later. I'm a C person myself and I've been meaning to pick up C++.

I would say pick up on C and if you want to use OO programming then pick up C++ later. I am not a fan of C++ really, but it does userland jobs allright.

C++ is a superset of C, so if you learn C first, it should make it easier to learn C++ later. I'm a C person myself and I've been meaning to pick up C++.
    That is bad advice. C++ is a thousand times easier than C. I recommend getting a book that describes standard C++ and learning from that.

Mt. man my friend, get SAMS teach yourself C++ for Linux in 21 days - it's a mighty good c++ book :P

I feel like I am trying to tread upon the grounds of the gods trying to learn how to program. One of the other posts in here said that they were trying to program their own mp3 encoder using the ogg format. That is just amazing to me. I wouldnt even know where to start, where I could find the info on how to use or find the encryption algorithym, etc. I really want to learn how to code and start writing my own stuff, but its a little intimidating to say the least. :-/

/me whispers french

Mt. man my friend, get SAMS teach yourself C++ for Linux in 21 days - it's a mighty good c++ book :P
    He could learn C++ better just by looking at my ass!!!!!!!!!! (can you tell I hate the SAMS Teach Yourself series)

Anyway, I say learn Scheme first, it'll help you get the concepts of programming down really well, even though it isn't used all that often. Of course, I could be a little biased, but I'll argue my point. If I mention something you don't understand, then it's probably an argument to convince other programmers on this board.

Scheme is a functional programming language. This means it is relatively simple in syntax (with the exception of parenthesis, although, with parenthesis matching editors these days, this isn't a problem anymore.) It also means that it forces you to use inductive logic quite a bit. That implies that it lends itself to recursive algorithms and once you have recursive algorithms down (mind you, you'll never master them, no one ever does, but Goedel came close), you'll nail down iterative solutions in C, C++, and other languages pretty quickly (something of which you CAN master.) Not only that, you won't fear recursive programming as much as some other programmers do.

Variables (not really the right term) are immutable (don't change.) This means a lot of things, but I'll simplify it. If you define a function (a set of actions to take) and use a global variable (don't say ick yet, read the rest) and later change that global variable, the function you defined will not change. Its behavior will stay the same in spite of you changing the value of that global variable. This is also true of functions that use other functions. The behavior of a function changes only when you redefine them. Of course, this leads to the problem of modularity (and this is the primary reason Scheme isn't used very often in development.) Scheme is, therefore, not a very module language. If you change one function, and you want function's new behavior to affect all of the functions that call it, you must redefine all of those functions. Often, that's just a matter of running it through the interpreter or compiler that you have, but not always.

Since Scheme programmers use recursive programming techniques so often, they often find their solutions to be rather terse in code compared to their iterative solutions.

One of the other posts in here said that they were trying to program their own mp3 encoder using the ogg format.
    That would be me, but you got it all wrong - for a long time I've been working on a project called Route66 (www.anders.com) and it's mighty cool and all - but I really want to do the whole thing in C++ and I want to make a switch from mp3 to ogg because I think they sound better.

Anyways, the idea is to have a database with song info, a user for each member of my family and then have the database profile the users, so that when new music is added the it, it will sort it out to the peoples playlist who likes that genre, tempo, singer etc...

We then display info on a 4x20 LCD display and control it all with only 4 buttons... Linux is great...