Thread: You thought my problems were hard?

You thought my problems were hard?

If you thought these were hard to solve in five hours (and note, we made these problems for high schoolers), check these out from the 2002 ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest. *Those problems are from the finals. *Some college in Shanghai (Shanghai Jiao Tong University) took first place, with MIT in second, University of Waterloo in third, Tsinghua University in fourth, and Stanford University in fifth. *Congrats to them. *My University (with me on the team) took fifth within our region.

Re: You thought my problems were hard?

I heard that languages were limited to Java, C, C++ and another language (can't remember which). That's too bad, since maybe Perl/Python or functional languages could've been useful.

I heard that languages were limited to Java, C, C++ and another language (can't remember which). *That's too bad, since maybe Perl/Python or functional languages could've been useful.
    There's a lot of math involved in many of the ACM problems, but they're not all math related, just a lot of them. So really, it doesn't matter that much. Not too many students know Perl, Python, Fortran, etc. anyway, so it probably would not make a difference. Although it would be nice if they allowed functional programming languages (e.g. Scheme, LISP, etc.)

back in my Computer Club days the only language we could use was PASCAL and FORTRAN.........damn I feel so outdated.