Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Object Oriented question.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Object Oriented question.

Mentor

Object Oriented question.

I have been programming in C and Perl for a long time now, but haven't touched any Object Oriented languages yet. Now I started learning Java 2 programming. I've read a lot of tutorials but I'm still not grasping the concept of Object Oriented programming.
    Can somebody tell me what a method is? Looking at the code it looks like a function in C or Perl. In that case why is it called a method and not a function? What is the difference? None of the tutorials explained this.

Re: Object Oriented question.

mathod == function

We call it that when we put it into an object..

Mentor

Ok, so when you say "Call the main method of the HelloWorld class" it would mean "Call the main function in the HelloWorld module?".

Yeah, kind of. Methods are just like functions, but they are part of a class

What is the difference? None of the tutorials explained this.
    You should get some better tutorials, sounds like the ones you're reading suck

Mentor

You should get some better tutorials, sounds like the ones you're reading suck
    Yes, I've come to that conclusion. They start talking about this and that method of a class right away before defining what the hell a method is.

Yes, I've come to that conclusion. They start talking about this and that method of a class right away before defining what the hell a method is.
    Let's see if we can find some for you... Well, I could send you some, but they are in Danish

Mentor

Actually, I'm reading one right now here: http://www.ibiblio.org/javafaq/javatutorial.html

It looks pretty decent.

Mentor

All right I'm getting ahead in Java. I came across a problem that I haven't found a solution to yet. In the following code I'm returning the value of "a". But how can I return the value of both "a" and "b"?
    Code:
    public class test {

public float test() {
        float a = 1.1;
        int b = 1;

return a;
    }