Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Who wants to learn Scheme?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to learn Scheme?

Who wants to learn Scheme?

I'm willing to start some threads on Scheme and how to program in it if and only if there is interest in it.

What I want to happen is that I might post a new thread each week, with some problems to be solved, all advancing and building on what was learnt from previous threads. Each thread would be a Q&A thread. I would try to respond to as many questions as I can that are posted in reply to that thread. Also, people could also post their answers to the problems I would give.

So who's interested?

Re: Who wants to learn Scheme?

Don't bother. If no one's interested in Ruby, O'Caml, Lisp or Pike, what is the chance they will be interested with Scheme? None.

Why not do a collected LJR programming hints PET.

Each of us write a paragraph on say, strings in C++ or basic concept of OO.

The goal being that we all learn how to... say... do a factorial program in that language ?

I want to know a Lisp language before I die, so I wouldn't mind, but I don't have time

So who's interested?
    I am.

Why not do a collected LJR programming hints PET.

Each of us write a paragraph on say, strings in C++ or basic concept of OO.

The goal being that we all learn how to... say... do a factorial program in that language ?
    That sounds like a great idea!

Just as I said on lno, *> I HATE SCHEME *>

Code:
    (define (bad-language l)
     *(cond
     * *[(null? l) '()]
     * *[else * * *(bad-language (cdr l))]))

you get what I mean

Just as I said on lno, *> I HATE SCHEME *>

Code:
    (define (bad-language l)
     *(cond
     * *[(null? l) '()]
     * *[else * * *(bad-language (cdr l))]))

you get what I mean

Wanna try O'Caml then? ;D I'll pay you to try it

Wanna try O'Caml then? ;D * I'll pay you to try it
    you'll pay me to try it? No problem!!! I'll try it today!!!

GnuVince, I'm not trying to compete with you or anyone else on this board, nor do I believe that Scheme is any better than other programming languages out there. All languages have their caveats, something of which I'm very aware of. Each language was created with very different philosophies in mind, and so therefore each language has its own set of unique problems that they are very good at solving. E.g. I could imagine writing a Prolog program that would solve Einstein's brain teaser (the one Einstein said that 98% of the world's population couldn't solve.) A person could, if (s)he wanted to, write a program in nearly any language to solve that problem, but Prolog is uniquely qualified to solve a problem like that.

The point of this thread was to see if anyone wanted to learn Scheme, not to extol the virtues of Scheme programming. I wanted to try a different documentation style than the normal RTFM. With this, if a person asks a question, I and others would know the context of the question and so therefore could answer quicker. Where as a person reading the material on his/her own time may run into a problem and will ask a question, and since no one, perhaps even including the person learning, would not understand the context and so will take longer to answer the question. Sometimes (perhaps often), this is due to poor wording, incoherent sentences, or even blatently incorrect material in the documentation (the "Teach Yourself blah blah blah in 21 Days" comes to mind.) Sometimes such poor documentation never gets fixed because they are not reviewed by experts (why would an expert read something for a newbie anyway?) Possibly the only time where experts do review a book is with text books, but those are outrageously expensive because the text book companies know that students must buy their books for their classes (it's not surprising to see college students buy their text book, photocopy all the pages, and return it while they can still get the full refund.) With this, at least such mistakes could be taken care of right away.

With that in mind, it doesn't even have to be Scheme as the target language to learn. In fact, it doesn't even have to be me teaching. I just want to try this and see if it works.