Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Java Programming for Linux

Thread: Java Programming for Linux

Java Programming for Linux

Its slower than pond water
    But is it viable ?

Re: Java Programming for Linux

there is no such thing as Java Programming for linux
    java programming is platform independant so wheter u write it on windows, linux or mac or whatever it'll run on any platform that has a java virtual machine so that alone makes it something great imo

the thing with java apps is that it's mostly the startup time that's slow (allthough Swing doesn't help either)

but seeing as how cpu's are getting more powerful each day the slowness of java is actually not that big of a deal anymore. Java is EXCELLENT for web-based apps (i'm not talking about applets). it's slower than php, but the speed of java web-apps is actually surprisingly well.

for my internship i had to write a system with java servlets and i can tell u it's great to work with. the servlets were running on a 400Mhz machine and when u opened the app in ur browser it was actually fast.

the language is very easy, well documented, safe, stable and it can do sooooooooooooooooooooooo much.

so besides of it being slow, java has nothing but advantages

I regularly code in Java using vim and the sun java environment.

The reason this is titled "Java Programming for Linux" because I recently purchased a book of the same name. Once I master PHP and Perl, am I moving on to Java.

Mentor

I'm learning Java right now. Actually JSP, servlets, EJBs, not the GUI stuff. It's rather complicated, but very powerful. I like it so far, but still have a lot to learn ...

Yes, this book is as about as thick as my Cisco, C++, and Unix Books. I tend to rate books by thier thickness. That thickness is multiplied by the amount of blows it would take to knock someone unconscious if I beat them with the book.

I call it the "Geek Beatdown Factor".

My HP/UX book has a GBF of 4
    My CSS book has a GBF of 6
    My Java Programming for Linux book has a GBF of 8
    (it contains a CD which helps)
    I have a Netware book that has a GBF of 10, but hardcovers get an
    automatic 9.

I tend to rate books by thier thickness. That thickness is multiplied by the amount of blows it would take to knock someone unconscious if I beat them with the book.
    That's great, but means nothing unless you quantify "thickness": What units are you measuring in?

My HP/UX book has a GBF of 4
    So your HP/UX book is either 4 inches thick + 1 hit to take somebody down, or it's a sheet of paper that would take about 4 million hits, then?

Sometimes I forget what site Im on.......

That book you bought, if I remember right, is more about setting up development/deployment environments in Linux than it is about doing anything that would result in code being tied to the platform.

Java applications actually run ok under Linux with a standard Sun setup, but they go much, much faster with the hotspot engine, which you can also get from Sun.

As for the web, probably the easiest stuff to code are JSP's and servlets, and they run pretty well also. However, my situation once was that I needed PHP in addition to JSP/Servlet support, which meant compiling Apache with mod_caucho. What a pain in the a**. Once I got it up and running though, it was ok.

Good Luck.