Thread: Text and the City

Text and the City

Well, I dumped NEdit. I have two problems with it, a) it is motif based and I really prefer my editor to run in a console. b) I hate the way it loads macros.

I went back to JED, which I used before and which I discovered has very nice AucTex-like macros for LaTeX. It also has a nice DocBook SGML mode.

Yes, yes, I know, 8) Vim 8).

But not for me. JED is nice, and it works. It is very much like Emacs except for the bloat....

Re: Text and the City

Hehehe. Don't say we didn't warn you buddy ;D

<snip>

Yes, yes, I know, 8) Vim 8).

<snip>

Exactly!!

Well, after much experimenting, I think I am going to just use mcedit. Shoot, I love Midnight Commander, so it does make sense that I'd like its editor too.

JED is nice, but kind of confusing. NEdit has to be run in X, and I just feel that a person's editor should be able to run with or without X. Just the way I am, I guess. Plus, I prefer the look of text in console. Vim is more editor than I need or want, plus, I just don't like that whole mode thing. Emacs is, well, Emacs.

MCedit is just about right for me. It is easy to use, has syntax highlighting and great formating capibilities and supports a very simple, elegant macro system.

But lets look at something here- I use an editor for simple stuff. Even for my simple html and Perl, I don't need a complex editor. I just need a reliable editor that lets me simply edit text and code without getting in the way. I don't want to deal with a complex editor that has several large books written about it. I want simple, intuitive text editing.

The thing is, no matter what editor I have installed and am trying to learn or use, I always seemed to be falling back to MCedit to get something done. Well, except for NEdit- it is easy too, but has other shortcommings.

MCedit seems to fit me like a glove. It is much like what I went through with iceWM and windoe managers. I always go back to the one that is right for me. I really like mcedit. Very much.

mcedit is blue for god's sake. I cannot look at a blue screen for more than 2 seconds without having this urge to press the reset button

mcedit is blue for god's sake. I cannot look at a blue screen for more than 2 seconds without having this urge to press the reset button
    Very easy to change.

AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, OK mcedit for small stuff, NEdit for html, sgml and LaTeX.

/me is wacko!

joe is really nice for console work. Has the same command set as the old WordStar stuff in the DOS 2.x days, including the half-screen help with a 3 key combo.

In X I either use joe in a trans konsole or I use gnp or kwrite.