Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C or C++

C or C++

Why C and not C++????? :-/

Re: C or C++

Why C and not C++????? :-/
    well the cardinal difference is that C is not object oriented, C++ is. it all depends on your needs. if you were creating a database type program, C++ would be the way to go. I learned C++ when i first started college, and learned C last year. i <3 C a lot, i like to program in it

C will produce a smaller code base than C++ and is much nicer in an embedded environment.

very true. C produces much smaller code.
    in my operating systems class, we had to write a small os for a motorolla m68hc11 microcontroller. we developed it in an emulated environment (using linux of course), writing it in C with inline assembler. let me tell you, i've gained a real flare for doing that kind of stuff. even though the final step of the semester long project (using the time slices algorithm we wrote, impliment locking semaphores to enforce mutual exclusion). that project came so very close but never finished up, we ran out of titme and hit a slight bug, but I figured out what the problem was and am just waiting to get some free time to sit down and fix it. anyone interested in seeing this thing? i found it really fun to work on and really helped me get indepth with C and assembler, which is a good skill to have.

thats the good stuff. It would seem as if you guys had more of a challenge in your game. We had to create a game (we chose a MUD), and make it unbreakable (ala Oracle). It was to be tested by a 20 yr programmer.

It was never broken

ummm, what game? ???
    i don't think i've ever written a game in any of my classes.

ummm, what game? ???
    i don't think i've ever written a game in any of my classes.
    I think he is talking about a class project?

oh, definitely wasn't a game, was an operating system we wrote from scratch. very basic but i'll put up on my website later tonight if i have time the source code and a description of each project and what it does.

-d

yeah so most of my code from my classes since i got to this college is up.
    http://student.plattsburgh.edu/mitz1601

Check it out. looks like it was fun eh?

Dude, that's really cool. I've always wanted to make my own operating system just for the learning experience and bragging rights. What processor was this written for? I don't recognize that assembler.