Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

sSMTP?

Thread: sSMTP?

sSMTP?

Ok, on my LFS box I need something that will send my mail via SMTP, but I don't want a full installation of postfix because all I ever use it for is sending mails, not receiving them.

I thought I heard of something called sSMTP that would do exactly this, but I can't find it on freshmeat or on the forums.

Anybody have any ideas?

Re: sSMTP?

HOw 'bout exim?

Do you need to RECIEVE mail from elsewhere? Or do you need to send mail through this 'puter from others on the net? If no, just install the sendmail package, but don't start it up or anything. Most clients can just use the sendmail binary to send mail out.

the web-address for sSMTP can be found in the mutt FAQ. that's where i got it from.

remember that this only sends mail to a remote SMTP server but can't do anything else.

remember that this only sends mail to a remote SMTP server but can't do anything else.
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want to run a full blown mail server on my own box, that's overkill for what I'm doing. Since I don't want people to actually be emailing feztaa@(my host name), the setup I currently have is people emailing my ISP-given email address, fetchmail to retrieve that mail and inject it into postfix, and postfix for sending mail with mutt. Since I can configure fetchmail to skip postfix, what I need now is an smtp program for sending but not receiving mail.

Thanks Ralinx, you da man

Thanks Ralinx, you da man
    if u say so

Well, I now have it all set up exactly the way I wanted. I can send and receive mail on my LFS system. Thanks again