Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Lovechild brings you Unreal - the PET - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lovechild brings you Unreal - the PET

Re: Lovechild brings you Unreal - the PET

UT and Q3 are absolutly stunning in Linux... I would never go back.

Good Guru

Has anyone gotten his pet to fail other than me ?? I can get it to load, but not any stages. I must be missing an obvious step or something. I get that URL error : cannot load ../Vortex2.unr

Oh and thanks Lovechild -- this is gonna kick ass once I track down my mistake!

Has anyone gotten his pet to fail other than me ?? *I can get it to load, but not any stages. *I must be missing an obvious step or something. *I get that URL error : cannot load ../Vortex2.unr

Oh and thanks Lovechild -- this is gonna kick ass once I track down my mistake!
    No No, that's not your mistake... for some reason Unreal refuses to load levels correctly - as I recall from the last time I played the game you have to load Vortex2.unr via console...

1) Bring down the console (with ~) and type open vortex2
    or
    2) Could be a permission error, try starting the game as root.

Good Guru

WOHOOOOOO!!!! I WASNT ON A MARLBORO!!!!! For a minute there I thought I wasnt smoking Camels but ....Marlboros.... thanks man that couldve been scary.

Seriously, I spent a good three hours looking at permissions (changed them to match my UT install) verifying that the PET's paths were accurate and mine matched. Well, after that, I guessed wrong and figured that maybe if I moe the maps into my UT Maps dir it may work. Nope. Thats why I had asked. I swore that I had to have missed an obvious one. I feel better. I still need a beer though. Mmmm make that a pitcher

2) Could be a permission error, try starting the game as root.
    I'd strongly advise against that. If it's a permissions error, change it's permissions so your normal user can access the file.

I'd strongly advise against that. If it's a permissions error, change it's permissions so your normal user can access the file.
    Yeah but as a test... if you read the PET you will see me warning against running stuff as root....

/me looks at SF account setup... su -c sf

Good Guru

Wont work anyway. My .loki dir exists only as my account and my roommates account. Root didnt ever run it so I have no ut dir. But as for permissions -- highly doubt it. I have repaired ALL of the permissions in the new unreal dirs to match exactly what is in the ut dirs. I also checked the unrealtournament and unreal dirs in my .loki as well just to have my bases covered. Everything is good. My assumption is that something is hardcoded somewhere that doesnt allow what I am trying to do. Ill look into that later. I have yet to try the console load of the map ingame. If it auto switches levels okay, then I am all for someting hardcoded in. Since Loki doated the source to another ftp, I can take a look at the code. Ill post back my findings as I figure this stuff out.

Good Guru

Well, as indicated the launch of the map from the console works. I did have just one hard lock, but that could have been caused by compiling some shit from a script I slapped together, running 2 GHclients, and unreal all going as I ripped an audio CD. Really sexy graphics. Better performance than what the Win32 client ever gave via OpenGL. Hats off to Lovechild eeryone!!! Now after I get home from work, I **_MUST_** reverse engineer or find the source to the binary. There should be a hack that should enable straight play. Perhaps then I could build an rpm or tgz to put the scripts and dirs together and make unreal run the the modified binary or whatever. We shall see.......

On a side note -- this is why I love Linux -- got me int 3d graphics, back into audio editing/composition, into packet sniffing for analysis, and now bakc into programming. Aint life great!!!

Good Guru

Okay -- this is incredibly lame.... I went to ftp.lokigames.com and didnt see the source for UT's anything. Went back to linuxgames and reread Draeker's notice about where the source goes. Appears whoever coded UT has it as theirs. I thought Epic did the coding for the Win32 version, right? Well, Id be damned if they have an email that is posted on their site. Their tech support comes from Infrogrames (wet dream getting any usefulness from those greedy bastards). So, is there a way that I didnt hear of from converting a dump of a disassemblers code to get c / c++ or something? I am not really in the mood to brush wayyyy up on my x86 assembly to reverse egineer this damn thing. Grrr!

Well anyway check out the ftp. Its pretty nifty as far as the stuff they got up.

Any progress in the process of have the vortex2 problem solved Schotty ?

I'm willing to buy you a beer if you make it work :P *sorry, I don't have that much money left in the bribery poll - spend all mine getting supermount in -jp*