Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

QuakeWorld anyone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QuakeWorld anyone?

QuakeWorld anyone?

Anyone ever get the glqwcl (or even the software version) going with a Voodoo3 card? I've got a old sk00l lan party coming up, and I don't really wanna have to play in Win2k...

Good Guru

Re: QuakeWorld anyone?

For quake, I can't get for the life of me any pre Q3 version running. It sucks. I LOVE Q2 witha passsion. AND I AM JUST TO STOOPID TO GET IT WORKING!! I have never tried quake world though.

I always find QuakeWorld on linux a bit iffy to set up. I just use glquake. (It has funky networking support, who needs QuakeWorld) I found a glquake binary, all you need is the .pak files, and thats it. It took me forever to find this binary, and it was luck I did. If you want, I can email it to you (1.1meg) you just need to obtain the id1 dir from a windows installation or something.

As for Quake2, have you tried compiling from source? Compiles native binaries for your system, works better than fine. I'd highly recommend you try it!

TTFN,
    ScRapZ_1 :P

Need QW 'cause I will need to be compatable with the Windows weenies in order to stomp their asses...

Anyway, I got it working. I am using the 2.30 glibc binary from quakeworld.net, and using the following script to start it:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    cd /usr/local/games/quake
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/games/qw
    export MESA_GLX_FX=fullscreen
    ./glqwcl.glx $*

Just had to make a link in /usr/local/lib from the libGL (mesa 4.0 in my case) to libMesaGL.so.2 - now it works like a champ. If I could just find all my old CD backups that had all my custom maps and stuff.....

Good Guru

It took me forever to find this binary, and it was luck I did. If you want, I can email it to you (1.1meg) you just need to obtain the id1 dir from a windows installation or something.
    Yes that would be nice. *I got this little program a bit ago that would rip the pakfiles from the cd (not needing a windows install) for me. *But getting the binaries to load was another story. *It kept needing the mesa libs, and I cant ahve those due to the nVIDIA drivers getting rid of them (since they are much faster than mesa, and optimized) So, now you can see my pain :)

As for Quake2, have you tried compiling from source? Compiles native binaries for your system, works better than fine. I'd highly recommend you try it!
    Not yet. *I see some guy made the source into something compilable and more usable. *But havent got around to it.

Need QW 'cause I will need to be compatable with the Windows weenies in order to stomp their asses...
    glquake on linux is compatible with windows... I use it all the time. If they were specifically using QuakeWorld, then I might understand (you cant play Quake on a QuakeWorld server, and vice versa). QuakeWorld had better TCP/IP support which was pretty critical in online games (go the days of 28.8k modems - or 14.4 even!) but didnt really make much difference on LAN games. But if you insist ;D

TTFN,

Good Guru

Thaks again - -that kicks ass! The binary works!!! Quake time again!!

Feels good, doesnt it? ;D ;D

TTFN,

Good Guru

Feels good, doesnt it? *;D ;D

TTFN,
    hell freakin yeah!!!

Quake 2 is my next goal (when I find my cd again). *I must get it to work -- I am addicted again to these damn id games!!!

Quake 2 is my next goal (when I find my cd again). *I must get it to work -- I am addicted again to these damn id games!!!
    You dont have Quake2 installed on a windows partition do you? Or on another computer on the network or something? Its just a lot easier to do it from a pre-installed one, otherwise, you'll have to decopress the pak files yourself (from the cd) and then get the update patch, and decompress that. Its a bit of work, I havnt tried it, but here is a snippet from a README file I've got (its the README that comes with the source):

Code:
    To install the Quake2 gamedata:
    -------------------------------
    (installdir is wherever you want to install quake2, and cdromdir is wherever
    you mount the Quake 2 CD-ROM)
    1. copy <cdromdir>/Install/Data/baseq2/pak0.pak to <installdir>/baseq2/
    2. copy <cdromdir>/Install/Data/baseq2/videos/ to <installdir>/baseq2/
      (optional)
    3. Download q2-3.20-x86-full.exe from
      ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake2/ or a mirror site, and extract the 
      contents to a temporary directory (use unzip -L, as this is a standard zip
      file).
    4. copy <q2-3.20-x86-full.exe temp directory>/baseq2/pak1.pak to
      <installdir>/baseq2/
    5. copy <q2-3.20-x86-full.exe temp directory>/baseq2/pak2.pak to
      <installdir>/baseq2/
    6. copy <q2-3.20-x86-full.exe temp directory>/baseq2/players/ to 
      <installdir>/baseq2/
    ...ok, so the whole decompressing thing was a bit melodramatic. I think I was think of the Quake install. (Quake 1, if you wish). But either way, installing it from a pre-installed one is easier.

Good luck, make sure you read the the whole README, theres little bits and pieces you need to know!

TTFN,