Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Want to Quake?

Re: Want to Quake?

Which brings us back to is someone going to set a date and time for this and find or host a good server?

Mentor

and if someone can't afford that he either needs to get a real fucking job or go ask mommy for some money
    I am a f*cking uni student with a huge student loan, and my mommy hasn't got any money either with a big motherf*cking mortgage. It probably isn't the best idea though, having to pay for international data. It could cost me quite a lot.

if space is the issue then all you have to do is get the binaries and make a sym link to the biggest pak file on the windows side.
    Now that I come back to it..

I don't have much experiece with accessing a windows partition from linux so could you explain to me how that is done and how I would get the binaries and stuff?

first of all is your windows partition fat32 or NTFS. If its ntfs then I don't know what to do but if its a fat partion I can help. You have to add a line to /etc/fstab similar to this.

/dev/hda1 /home/daniel/Windows vfat defaults,uid=500,gid=500 0 0

/dev/hda1 is the partition that windows is on. /home/daniel/Windows is where I mount the windows parition. I like to mount it in the home directory but I usually see it in /mnt/win. vfat indicates that its a fat partition. Then the defaults part are the options and uid 500 is my user so I have permission to read and write to the windows partition. I'm not sure what the last 0 0 is for though

I use redhat so I get the quake 3 binaries from freshrpms.net and install that. Then its as simple as ln -s /usr/games/quake3/baseq3/pak0.pk3 /whever/windows/is/mount/and/location/of/pak0.pk3 in windows

first of all is your windows partition fat32 or NTFS. If its ntfs then I don't know what to do but if its a fat partion I can help. You have to add a line to /etc/fstab similar to this.

/dev/hda1 * * * * * * * /home/daniel/Windows * *vfat * defaults,uid=500,gid=500 0 0

/dev/hda1 is the partition that windows is on. /home/daniel/Windows is where I mount the windows parition. I like to mount it in the home directory but I usually see it in /mnt/win. vfat indicates that its a fat partition. Then the defaults part are the options and uid 500 is my user so I have permission to read and write to the windows partition. I'm not sure what the last 0 0 is for though

I use redhat so I get the quake 3 binaries from freshrpms.net and install that. Then its as simple as ln -s /usr/games/quake3/baseq3/pak0.pk3 /whever/windows/is/mount/and/location/of/pak0.pk3 in windows
    Thanks! I'll go work on it in a minute.

Only question I have is: Will linux quake modify pak0 in anyway?? I wouldn't think it would but I'm just making sure.

I'm pretty sure it only reads the pak file. I don't use the symlink method because I only have q3 in linux.

hmm well I could set it to read only just in case I guess

hmm well I could set it to read only just in case I guess
    Couldn't hurt but I'm pretty sure quake 3 doesn't edit its own pak files

Anyone interested in playing? After who knows how many months of having this game, I finally got it to work on Mandrake 8.2. No sound though. Its a known issue w/ the AC97 audio codec, and Via chipsets. Anyone who is interested you can IM me at Maverick7241, email me at maverick@mahan.net or just post on my forums at http://maverick.hostbet.net

Do I have to buy Quake? isnt there a free version.. What are the requirements for it to run on my box..