Thread: Debian install, Xfree86, and kernel upgrade

Debian install, Xfree86, and kernel upgrade

I'm thinking of trying to reinstall pure Debian again so I don't have to deal with RPS and dependancy issues...stupid RPMs..What would be the best way to go about installing and getting the latest and greatest Xfree and kernel.

I'm currently using a Radeon video card which Deb 2.2r3 got extremly cranky with when it came to install X. :/

One last thing I forgot about, how large should I make my Deb partition(s)? ATM I've got mandy running on 1.5 or 1.7 gigs.

Re: Debian install, Xfree86, and kernel upgrade

Simple. Install Debian and set your sources.list file to whatever distribution you prefer (stable, testing, or unstable). Do an apt-get update to get everything synced. Then do apt-get install xfree86 to get the latest X-Windows. As far as the kernel goes, you'll probably have to do an apt-cache search kernel to find what the latest kernel is, then apt-get install it too.

One last thing I forgot about, how large should I make my Deb partition(s)? ATM I've got mandy running on 1.5 or 1.7 gigs.
    That's lots. I did a fairly minimal install and it was about 900 MBs. I think the installer said that if you installed absolutely everything, you'd get about 2 GBs. But, since there are tons of stuff that you can be guaranteed you won't install (if you install postfix, you can't install exim or sendmail, etc), then it should level out to be much less than 2 GBs. A 1.7 GB partition for / will the lots, although you might want a seperate partition for /home

I've got hrm..the 1.7 is divided into two partitions, no swap. ATM I can't remember how I do have them devided though.

Just get 768 megs like me and don't worry about swap. <smiles>

Mentor

I only have 1.2GB set aside. I have got about 400 free at the moment, and that is with a kernel source in here, and lots of other useless shit. My log files are about 100mb and my apt archive is about 100 as well. I am running testing with X which works nicely and it is nice and easy to set up with apt. I think that in stable they only have Xfree86 version 3 not 4. I could be wrong though.

Last I checked you're correct about the only stable being 3.x.x. If I want to install this beast it appears it's time to learn Vi. :P