Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Migration to Debian is not working :(

Re: Migration to Debian is not working :(

ok, cloverm, I tried adminmenu. It at least saves me the trouble of reinstalling everytime something goes wrong.

But...

THIS ISA PNP BULLSHIT IS DRIVING ME FUCKING NUTS!!!!!

I boot the computer. /proc/isapnp tells me that my NIC is currently on io port 0x300 and IRQ 3. So I use admin menu to configure Libranet to look for my NIC there. I reboot to make the changes take effect. Now /proc/isapnp tells me that my NIC is currently on io port 0x220 and IRQ 12. So I use admin menu to configure Libranet to look for my NIC there. I reboot to make the changes take effect. Now /proc/isapnp tells me that my NIC is currently on io port 0x300 and IRQ 3. So I use admin menu to configure Libranet... do you see where I'm going with this?!?!?!?!

Mentor

IRQ 3 belongs to your COM2 port and IRQ 12 belongs to the PS2 mouse port, so they're both incorrect. What IO port and IRQ is it set to in windows? Most of the time it's IO port 0x300 or 0x330 and IRQ9, but I've seen it on IRQ 10 or 5. Try those.

IRQ 3 belongs to your COM2 port and IRQ 12 belongs to the PS2 mouse port, so they're both incorrect.
    Are you absolutely positive of that? Are you saying that /proc/isapnp is wrong? When I tell the ne module to load with either io 0x220, irq 12 or io 0x300, irq 3, it says it loaded the driver successfully. it's just that when I reboot, the io port and irq change, and it won't work anymore.

But, like I said, Mandrake can do it. There must be a way to make this work.

What IO port and IRQ is it set to in windows?
    Looks like io port 0x240 and irq 9.

Most of the time it's IO port 0x300 or 0x330 and IRQ9, but I've seen it on IRQ 10 or 5. Try those.
    Well, we'll see how 0x240 and irq 9 go... I was told on LNO a while back that Linux and Windows manage it differently, so it's likely that whatever windows says it is will be wrong for linux... but whatever...

0x240 and irq 9 said the drivers failed to load, but 0x220 and irq 9 said the drivers loaded successfully, but still wouldn't work.

I have a (windows) driver disk that came with it, I'm going to dick around with it and see if I can make it stop changing it's irq and io ports.

Ok! I know what the problem is, and it should be fixed!! YES!!!

I mentioned earlier that my card is compliant with Win95 Plug and Play (PnP) specifications. THAT was the problem all along.

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems as though when I booted to windows, the card would just ask windows "gee what io port and irq should I get?", and windows would tell it. Obviously, Linux is incapable of actually telling the card what it needs to know (except, somehow, for Mandrake).

I loaded up the dos driver disk for the card, and switched it from 'Plug and Play' mode (the default) to 'Jumperless' mode, and then permanently configured it to be on io port 0x300 and irq 9.

Now, I haven't tested this in linux yet, but when I rebooted the computer, Windows made a big deal with new hardware found, it detected my printer, and my sound card, and a few other things. After that, I didn't have internet access. I had to manually install the drivers for the card, and I had to set it to 0x300 and irq 9, and it worked (in windows). This is a good sign, as those values should now be static, and I should be able to use it just fine in any distro.

Thanks to all those that helped! I'll let you know if I have any more troubles

Hey!! It works!! I'm writing this message from Lynx in Libranet

Now I have to seriously upgrade everything - ipchains?? I think I should just do an install of Debian woody now that I have my NIC sorted out. The world is my oyster! ;D

Kind Mastermind

Hey!! It works!! I'm writing this message from Lynx in Libranet

Now I have to seriously upgrade everything - ipchains?? I think I should just do an install of Debian woody now that I have my NIC sorted out. The world is my oyster! ;D
    Congratulations!

crap!
    I thought I had another SuSe migrator

stryder: thanks!

coltrane link=board=distros&num=1005874076&start=0# 27 date=11/17/01 at 23:02:43]crap!
    I thought I had another SuSe migrator
    Sorry to disappoint! Trust me, this won't be the last of my troubles with Debian. I still can't get X working. I just might try some other distro's yet! Suse's on the list

Kind Mastermind

stryder: thanks!

Sorry to disappoint! Trust me, this won't be the last of my troubles with Debian. I still can't get X working. I just might try some other distro's yet! Suse's on the list
    Slackify!!! (Of course, my personal opinion is, if it's linux, it's right [sort of, since windows does have it's place])