Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Migration to Debian is not working :(

Re: Migration to Debian is not working :(

Well, I emailed the Libranet guys shortly after making that post, and am eagerly awaiting their response. (The reason I'm eager becomes obvious once you know that the installer formatted my / partition and I had to boot to windows in order to get online... ;D)

If there was an option to change the install media, it certainly wasn't evident in the installer. That's all I'll say

D'oh!

I got a reply from Libranet. There is no way to stop the installer from trying to mount the cd.

My plan is to let the installer mount a different (and completely unrelated) cd, then unmount it myself, and then remount the ISO to where the other cd got mounted.
    Wish me luck!

Good idea, keep us posted!

It worked!

Sort of. Theoretically, I got Libranet to install. However, my NIC refuses to work, and same with X.

Well, all day I've been wrestling with it. The default install of lilo wouldn't even let me boot to windows, but luckily lilo.conf was well documented and I configured it to let me boot windows... which is how I'm able to post this message.

So far I'm not very impressed with Libranet. Yes, the install was easy, in theory, but having to trick it into reading the proper media (twice during the whole install), and then not having anything work after that is very disappointing.

I *might* try to do a pure debian install again - I gave up rather quickly on that and there are still a few things that I'd like to try to make it work. If I still fail, I think I'll try slackware - it was pretty good last time I tried, but I also didn't have enough time to really get a feel for it (but on the bright side, it actually installed properly on the first try... go figure).

Mentor

Well, Libranet was really designed to be installed from a CD-rom. Debian, therefore Libranet does not recognize hardware automatically, so do not expect it to add your Windows partition automatically to Lilo. If you are having problem with your NIC an video card with Libranet, you will most likely have the same exact problems with pure Debian. What video card and NIC do you have?

I'm using an AOpen AON-101 10M NIC. It's ISA, and fully NE2000 compliant.

Ok, I just reinstalled this morning. I read /proc/isapnp, and found out that my card is working on IRQ 3, and io port 0x300. So I put those values in, and it said it loaded the driver properly. I configured it for DHCP, which really worried me because it didn't actually ask for a DHCP server...

Anyway, it didn't work! Heaven forbid it could work when I enter the correct numbers! ARGHH!
    Also, this installer isn't very sophisticated. If I accidentally choose the wrong option, it won't let me go back and change it - I was hoping to get X configured properly this time around, but so much for that.

Mentor

Just run admimenu as root. It will let you reconfigure your hardware.

I'm using an AOpen AON-101 10M NIC. It's ISA, and fully NE2000 compliant.

Ok, I just reinstalled this morning. I read /proc/isapnp, and found out that my card is working on IRQ 3, and io port 0x300. So I put those values in, and it said it loaded the driver properly. I configured it for DHCP, which really worried me because it didn't actually ask for a DHCP server...

Anyway, it didn't work! Heaven forbid it could work when I enter the correct numbers! ARGHH!
    Also, this installer isn't very sophisticated. If I accidentally choose the wrong option, it won't let me go back and change it - I was hoping to get X configured properly this time around, but so much for that.
    I can never get X configured correctly the first time around. I always enter the same values and it always wants to be difficult, so I cancel the configuration everytime I install and then I install everything else and then I reconfigure X and it works. Dont ask me why though ;D

I forgot to ask why you didnt just download the boot disks for debian and do a network install ? That way you can install from testing.

cloverm: is that a graphical tool? (because if it is, it won't work) I'll try that.

evilestknight: Well, I've gone and lost the hardware specs for my damn monitor (in the manual). It was sitting on my desk last night, and they just disappeared overnight. I can't find them anywhere.

I just redownloaded the (pure) Debian install disks. I'm about to attempt a network install - but I've realized, if I can't get my NIC working in an actual Linux environment, what makes me think I'll get it working in the installer? *sigh*. I'm going to give it a shot, though.