Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mandrake Linux 8.1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake Linux 8.1

Hybrid View

Mentor

Mandrake Linux 8.1

MandrakeSoft is proud to announce Mandrake Linux 8.1 as the newest alternative to Microsoft Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/81.php3

Re: Mandrake Linux 8.1

Whoa... gentlemen, newbies... fire up those downloads...

Good Luck hitting a mirror anytime soon :

This is dissappointing since I just got RC1 installed and configured last night :'( Oh well.....At least now I have something to keep me busy ;D

I've visited every mirror and cannot find the ISO listed on the servers. The servers are setup in a different format and I'm having a hard time finding the images.......

You are doing better than me.....I cant even get to connect to one. I think I am gonna wait till they put up some more mirrors and/or it slows down a bit.

You are doing better than me.....I cant even get to connect to one. I think I am gonna wait till they put up some more mirrors and/or it slows down a bit.
    Funny, I'm still getting about 200kbytes/sec from my favourite mirror. 8)

One note about upgrading from 8.0 - I wanted to upgrade the kernel (yes, compiling it myself is boring), so I d/l the rpm, satisfy dependecies, rpm -U kernel and it fails, giving a not very informative error message. Fortunately I checked what it did - otherwise I'd get a kernel panic on next reboot: the script replaced a kernel, pointed to by the /boot/vmlinuz link, with a new version and failed to rerun lilo.

Other minor problem I've found - mozilla depends on a package which is not available, but this is probably because the mirror isn't fully sync'ed yet.

Kind Mastermind

Too cool. I can't wait to get back to the States, so I can pick up a copy. My wife won't let me buy anymore software over the internet (I'm on restriction! She thinks I spend too much money on computers! Say it ain't so!) and my internet is so s-l-o-w (winmodems stink)!!! If my network admin would just stop monitoring the network for a few hours.... Of course, being in the military and living in a foreign country, trying to download such a large file would probably land me in prison! Anyway, what has been improved over 7.1? It is the last one that I have used (I use RH7 only because it supports my TNT2 "out of the box&quot , so I would like to know what makes it special. This may give me just the right ammo to use to convince my wife that I really need to buy it.

Can anyone help me here? I need to do an FTP install of this, how do I get it started? I have a laptop with Win2k on it right now. It doesnt have a CDROM drive so I need to network install it. How do I start it?

I downloaded the 3 ISO's and installed it (after 4 attempts). I've got to tell you, I'm pretty disappointed with this version. I think Mandrake pushed it out the door a little to quickly. The install would constantly stop and tell me that it was unable to install a certain package and wanted to know if I wanted to continue.

Mentor

I downloaded the 3 ISO's and installed it (after 4 attempts). *I've got to tell you, I'm pretty disappointed with this version. *I think Mandrake pushed it out the door a little to quickly.
    That was exactly my feeling when 8.0 came out. As a matter of fact my frustration with 8.0 made me switch to Debian (Libranet to be exact). Thank God for that ...