Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake Linux 8.1

Re: Mandrake Linux 8.1

Can anyone help me here? I need to do an FTP install of this, how do I get it started? I have a laptop with Win2k on it right now. It doesnt have a CDROM drive so I need to network install it. How do I start it?
    Download pcmcia.ide from 8.1/i586/images, dd it to a floppy (or rawwrite, if you're using M$ - if in any doubts read the README from the very same dir), boot from that floppy and follow the on-screen instructions.

I did it with 8.0 on my laptop and it worked without any reiterations.

Can anyone help me here? I need to do an FTP install of this, how do I get it started? I have a laptop with Win2k on it right now. It doesnt have a CDROM drive so I need to network install it. How do I start it?
    See Section 5 of:

ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/m...86/install.htm

The install would constantly stop and tell me that it was unable to install a certain package and wanted to know if I wanted to continue.
    My install went without a hitch. So far, so good.

The same thing happened to me, cloverm. I switched to Libranet on my main box and love it. I just thought I would give Mandrake another try on my extra box. Honestly, I'm not impressed.........

Finally got it FTP installed on my laptop. Looking good so far, I even tried KDE this time......KDE looks nice, but is too slow on my laptop (Pent 233/96RAM) so its back to window maker for me I like how it came with GCC 3.0--on mandrake 8.0 I could NEVER get that installed properly and I had alot of problems compiling things.

BTW, did u guys see the default screensaver in KDE? Kinda cool

I like how it came with GCC 3.0
    that might cause some problems since the 3.x series of gcc is considered to be buggy at best. best gcc version is gcc 2.95.3

Mandrake 8.0 came with 2.96 gcc and alot of things I wanted to compile would ask for 3.0 and not compile under 2.96. That was my main problem with man 8.0 especially xine BTW--never would compile for me......Hopefully 3.0 works a little better

Mandrake 8.0 came with 2.96 gcc and alot of things I wanted to compile would ask for 3.0 and not compile under 2.96. That was my main problem with man 8.0 especially xine BTW--never would compile for me......Hopefully 3.0 works a little better
    gcc 2.96 is also a piece of shit
    iirc, it's not even a real release. it was a snapshot released by the gcc people for testing purposes only but the people at redhat and mandrake just put it in their distro's even though it sucked bigtime

gcc 2.95.3 is the way to go

Can anyone here please give me an ftp url to downloadd the 3 ISO's? Cause I've checked some of those mirrors, but I can't find it :-/

Ludo